Trimming a Japanese Maple?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mhussey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if now is a great time to trim a Japanese Maple tree, and also just exactly how to trim one and how much to take off? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on the appearance you are going for & which type of Japanese Maple it is. They are more of an ornamental tree IMO so it is all by appearance & cut what you think looks right. I do the same thing w/ some Redbuds. I myself would wait until the spring so it can heal easier.

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Japanese maples should be pruned in summer too reduce the chance of fungal spores entering open cuts. Pruning them when they are in full leaf protects them from bleeding generous quantities of sap. The leaves draw sap away from the wound, which keeps them relatively dry & reduces the chances of the stems dying back.

get yourself a copy of 'the pruners bible' by steve bradley. it should run you around $14-15

4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, thanks guy's for all your remarks. Yea I have a small Japanese Maple as to my neighbor's is a lot taller. Mine I know has been at my house for 3yrs and my neighbor's is only 1.5 yrs old. I was thinking that there are different kinds of them. Mine isn't very tall but it's getting wider and wider every year.