Trimming along foundations...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fiveoboy01, Jul 22, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes when I trim along a foundation(where the grass goes all the way up to it), some of the grass will lay down rather than get cut. Yesterday I ran a shred-n-vac along the concrete to pull a few long clippings, and it pulled up this un-cut grass so I had to go back and trim some of it again.

Is there a technique to avoid this? I'm using Echo crossfire line, can't remember but it's .090 or .095.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

im guessing its all laying one way due to going over it the same way with the mower everyweek, what you can do is take your foot and pull the grass up with it by pulling it the opposite way it is laying down then trim in that direction as well, then just be careful and most likely do this for a few weeks to get it so it stays up. Maybe stay a little bit away from it with the mower as well.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Round Up the 1st 3-4 inches than trim that like you would a bed

4. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Exactly, this is commonly refered to as a maintenance strip. To take it one step further you could edge the strip.