trimming along highway?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wanabe, Aug 4, 2004.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Do you guys trim ditches along the state highway? I am not talking a quick job, it takes at lest 1 hour. I am scared to death working 5 foot from 60 mph cars and trucks. There has been several accidents at this location, always think the big one it going to happen. There is no way to mow this one, as it is so deep(10 foot) and the sides go straight down. I have no problem with the customer side, just the state side. I think at the min we need reflective shirts/vests and maybe a "mowing ahead" sign. I just see someone killed someday because of this. What would you do?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I trim one on one of the most dangerous roads in the U.S. I bought DAY-GLO orange shirts for just that job.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Orange shirts, or vests. Truck parked in the shoulder behind you with amber strobe/revolving lights. Rather have them hit the truck than me. :cool:

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

"Truck parked in the shoulder behind you with amber strobe/revolving lights. "

Well, if I tried that, We would need a tow, then a new truck. It is that close to the highway!

5. ElephantNest

from La.

Same here, no room for anything but my skinny butt. If I swing too wide, I may trim a side mirror off.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO!! Send a worker to go do it then! Geeze, screw that. No account is worth a life. :eek:

7. ElephantNest

from La.

I've thought about it, but I can't find anyone that knows how to trim worth a hoot. I'd have cars lined up by my truck with broken windows. Darn pebbles and crud. One good thing, if I did get hit, I'd probably get knocked into the bayou and drown, therefor eliminating the coma/vegetable thing.

8(

lol

8. JEFF ZALMANOFF

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

lots of round-up ?

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too have one by a major highway.....I hate it. So I only trim it every other week

10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I have several commercial accounts right beside the highway, i think im only about 4' from the cars and 18 wheelers, it does get alittle scary now and then, ive seen many accidents some close by, the thing i hate most is the car's throw rocks and can's ect, ect, I always have a orange vest on these sites been at it for many yr's but it does still make you feel alittle jittery......Marks Mowing Service