Trimming and Edging but no mowing please??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey
    I have a guy that called me to see if I could come trim and edge his lawn after his 13 yearold son mows it. They loved the way one of my customers lawns looked and want me to do just the edging and triimming on it. What would you charge for edging and trimming on about a 6000 sqft yard.

Thanks
    BJ

2. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Money is money, unless he is paying in counterfeit just charge what you need to make a decent profit off the job.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

One only have one account like that. We do it for two reasons. One we are already in the neighborhood, and two we do a commercial property for the homeowner. We charge our minimum rate. I believe you should have a minimum rate each time your truck pulls up to a property. Whether you are mowing, trimming, edging. I would definitely at a minimum charge your minimum or somewhere around that. JMO

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Trinity. If you have to drive there and take your equipment off the trailer...I'd go with the minimum rate.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've got an elderly man that I just trim & edge his for him. I mow his neighbor's lawn so he stopped me one day to trim around the house & right over his sprinkler heads. I charge him $15 cash every week. This past week, he called me and asked if I could start mowing since it was too hot for him. "Not a problem. I would be happy to do it for you. Price is $40. Just let me know if you need anything else." Next day, he wanted his landscape trimmed up. Never hurts to get in the door. I would have been mowing it from the beginning, but he had just bought a brand new JD. Since I am already mowing next door, I already have the equipment unloaded so it only takes a little longer & it's cash.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I do a good bit of work in a 55+ trailer park that mows only.
    $10 a trip; all on the same day after the mowers leave.
    Each takes 5-8 minutes to trim, edge, blow.
    Works out since all are really packed together and I get their landscape work too.

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

His 13yr old will soon be off and driving, etc. right? Treat the guy like the potential full service customer he could become! I run the edger on a few properties that are next to my regulars.... nothing out of the way and its good PR.

8. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey
    My min. is $15.00 so I will just let them know that I do not unload any of my equipment for less than that. Thanks for the input.
    BJ

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds stupid, I wouldn't do it. I had a lady say she would do the trimming so I wouldn't have to charge so much for bi-weekly. I said no, it would look like crap because the grass is so long I trim first so the mower will bag most of it. I go it.

Sometimes people will ask me to just clean the 2nd story windows, I say no also. I tell them I don't like doing half assed jobs.

10. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I thought a read somewhere on LawnSite that someone was charging between .80 .95 a ft. I do it for one older woman who has a friend of her daughter mowing. She came right out and told me she would rather have me mowing too but because it's a friend of her daughter she won't fire him yet. She will, and when she does I'll be there to take his place. Another full service customer.:weightlifter: