Trimming around a Chain Fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any tricks to trimming around chain link fences. Most of the ones I have encountered go all the way down into the turf so you can't slide the line underneath the fence. Plus spraying them would kill the neighbors side which would get them fired up at me.

2. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Chain link fences are deffinately one the things I hate most. I really don't know if there is a trick to doing this, if there is I would like to know also.

3. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

If you figure out a good way, let me know too. Very frustrating...

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't call this a "trick" but I'll tell you my deal.
    I run my trimmer 3/4 to wide open 75% of the time. The other 25%, I run it just over Idle, on you guessed, chain link... BTW .105 line is your friend, as well as Gator Magnum..When I bid props with lots of Chain link, I deffinately bid accordingly. Your results will improve with time, I can almost run with a trimmer and trim chainlink now....:cool:

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i just let the trimmer line hit on the fence. if the other side is the neighbors side, no need to do it anyway. if its my customers fence, say a front fence, i just do the same thing on both sides..... simple. i guess maybe i hold it on a more downward angle..

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Dosent work always but.... If you hold the trimmer in your right hand, walk back wards along the fence(fence on your left). This way the line pulls away from you into the fence and not away off the fence. If that made sense.
    Like I said, it dosent always work but you could give it a go!

7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I can usually talk the owner into letting me run a line of Round Up along the fence so as to eliminate the experience of trimming it all together. Not always though.

8. txlawnking

I have seriouly considered using something like Primo Maxx, or Embark to stunt the grass, but with these products being in the $200 something a gallon range.. It may be a while before I experiment with them! Two hunch buys a lot of trimmer line....

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I agree with txlawnking, gator magnum and a slower rpm. This way the line does more "bouncing" off the fence rather always cutting it. I also have considered a growth regulator. I remember seeing Embark for around $55 a gallon, but that might have been a "not so" concentrate mix. Let me know where you can find Primo Maxx for $200, that would be a pretty good deal.

10. txlawnking

Walker look no further than Lesco... It might have been more like $250... Memory got fuzzy after I heard over $200 you know...LOL