trimming around pools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengator, Feb 1, 2004.

1. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

Working alone, how do you keep from getting grass in the pool while edging around it? Is it a big concern or will the filter take care of it?

2. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

edging or trimming. edging-take your time with cleanup, trimming-trim so that the debris exits away from pool and then during cleanup start next to pool and blow out. keep it simple. if its really windy can be tricky. some pool owners dont appreciate grass in filters, we usually pick up 2-3 lawns each year do to this.

3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, walk backwards with the trimmer so the grass is thrown away from the pool. I bought a sthil hand held vac for clean up for the 3 accounts I do with grass around the pool..............It works great!
    I'll usually get the scoop net and give it a once of too.
    People that I know really apprciate the lawn care guy leaving the pool spotless. I'll always go the extra mile, what ever that takes to leave no clippings in the pool

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

well on my STIHL FS85, the line spins counter clockwise, so when i trimm around pools i walk on the side of my left hand around the pool so the line thows the clippings in the other direction, i never have a problem with it.

mowing on a high wind day on the other hand is a different story.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just figure out the direction that the trimming head spins and that will solve your problem

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

using an edger works for me almost all of my customers have pools

7. NEWINNJ

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

Here's what I do around my pool. If my wife is around I have her run the blower as I trim. Only have 3' of sidewalk on one side of my pool and hardly ever get any grass in pool. If I am by myself I set the blower on the ground blowing trimmings to the grass area. Second method doesn't always work as well but better than nothing.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if there would be a way to "snap on" a larger shield onto the trimmer's right side that would totally block any debris going off to the right? This would be a good one for the engineers out there, but you have to make it simple to put on and take off.

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

That's is what the pool skimmer trap is for. Also, if you trim first and come back when you're done mowing to blow off the deck, usually any grass will have gathered in one area making it easily scooped out if there is that much. If not, the pool has filters and traps for a reason.

10. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have done this before use a edger with a hand held blower. Blow off the grass while you edge. Somtimes it can tricky but you can do it go slow just aroun the pool. I have helpers that blows off while i edge around them. Sometimes owner gets real hot when grass goes in pool. But, i just try not to get grass in there.