1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming around stucco?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lane65, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Lane65

Lane65 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm so afraid of stripping the paint off or removing stucco from the base of clients homes. This damage apparently seems unavoidable. Do I need to inform clients in writing or am I missing a technique here?
  2. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Most of the houses I mow don't have grass up to the house. And if they ever do, I don't think the stucco goes all the way to the grass. I would think you should be trimming against the foundation.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

But there are times when you have to trim directly against stucco. You just gotta slow on the throttle and be careful.
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Use an egit disc, great around houses and fence lines too.
  5. Lane65

Lane65 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thank you for the advice. Some of this new construction out here has minimal landscaping and sod laid right up next to the house. Foundation line is buried way below the turf. I do power-down and try to be as careful as possible, but I'm still worried damage may occur over time. What are your thoughts on how well stucco will hold up over time and would you consider a disclaimer?

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

You could use the Redmax Reciprocator...
  7. jbpo

jbpo LawnSite Member

round up. i have client that applies it to the perimeter of his house. leaves very minimal trimming. actually looks good too. i started doing to my own house.
  8. Lane65

Lane65 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

These are very useful options to consider. Everyone here has been so helpful. Not sure yet what I'll end up doing. I've also thought of handing the homeowner a residential grade bottle of Roundup. lol Well see? Thanks again to everyone, you guys are great.
  9. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a stucco property with pre-existing damage (probably from a mower rather than a trimmer). They tried to blame me but I had the photos from the walk-around to dispute it. If I can't fix it I don't want to damage it. Go very easy on stucco and EIFS. Stucco gets brittle and you can cut through EIFS with a teaspoon.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. Paranoids' have enemies too...
  10. Lane65

Lane65 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

jpbo, you suggested what I was thinking (beat me to it). Not sure, but I do believe here in FL I am required to obtain a chemical license in order to apply any chemicals as a business to a client? Is this correct? In the absence of a license the homeowner will need to preform this application?