1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming around Swimming pool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Jun 24, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my client's has a swimming pool and theirs a privacy fence also. No matter what I do I get clippings in the pool when using the string trimmer. The wind comes up and just makes a mess.. Any suggestions ?? Or do I just do the best I can and live with it ?

Lou :cool:
  2. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i just do the best i can do and live with it... a few clipping always seams to get in the pools i trim around..
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

If you work with somebody and it really bothers you, let your helper run a blower behind you as you trim.
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

The blower idea is good, but I'm solo.. Thanks anyway...

Lou :cool:
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that you have probably already tried this...the trimmer head throws the grass clippings in one direction, so if you put the spinning for it flys out it might help.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

trim and then finish up with the strainer. Not much else you can do other than talk the homeowner out of grass around the pool.
  7. Fossil

Fossil LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

One of my Shin 270's has a round Edgit. I edge around the pool as well as trim. I run lower RPM's, and angle the pool side of the trimmer lower. This seems to keep the debris to a minimum. When I blow, I aim the blower into the pool at about 45 degree angle as I walk around it. This lets the outside edge of the air blast push the debris away from the pool. Some will still get in, but it keeps it to a minimum.
  8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

2bricks and a handheld blower.Put the bricks on either side of the blower to keep it from walking;worked for me.Just put it on idle and deflect the debris back at you.
  9. Whatdefunk

Whatdefunk LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I always strain out the customer's pool when i am done. I do tell them up-front that I can't get everything out after mowing and they understand. After all thats what the pump and filter are for so don't worry yourself too much about it. I'm sure the homeowner couldn't't do as good a job as you are of keeping grass out of the pool anyway. I've never had a problem and if I do I will drop them as a customer............it's not worth the headache!
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

As stated above ^

If I make a mess, I clean it up. Get debris in the pool, strain it out.