Trimming Around Wooden Fence Posts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Nov 3, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any special tips for trimming around the square wooden fence posts on wooden fences. If I use the weedeater, the string will get the grass good on one side of the pole, but not the other because of the direction the trimmer is spinning. The problem is the right angle made between the fence post and the fence. I also have problems with string damaging the fence post.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

A little round up around the post takes care of the problem.
    As for the damage, ya got to be real careful, with time you can trim and barely touch the wood and still cut the grass. I have seen posts that were almost cut in half by careless trimmers. :dizzy:

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to use roundup, but customers wouldn't accept it. I just end up hand pulling it.

4. If you have trouble hitting posts remove 1-2" of grass around post. Better solution is 1-2' mulch or rock border along fence.
    If you can't do above get galvanized metal U brackets from framing section at lumber yard/Home depot/etc.. Don't know what they are called but they won't show too much and aren't too $. Put them on bottom of post to prevent damage.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Using a trimmer is an art form. Some people have it and others don't. I am one of the people that can't master this piece of equipment. I have worked with people that could do what you are asking without a problem. I on the other hand would get close with the trimmer and then use hand shears to finish. Not productive for me in the least but I know my limitations. Best of luck.

Gravely_Man

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a straight shaft trimmer that the head spins counterclockwise? (throwing things to the left) If so, are you trimming from right to left on each side of the post? (moving clockwise around each post or object) Also, when you start on a new side, have some decent rpms already up so the the string is already cutting decent when it touches the first grass. This gives you a more accurate, precise blade edge - and knowing where it is.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

trimming around a post shouldn't be a problem. I have trimmed around thousands with no complaints.

the trick is trimming around young trees where the grass grows up against the bark. you gotta trim the grass and not cut the bark because if you trim a ring through the bark, the tree dies!

I have seen lots of young dead trees due to this avoidable damage. many of the guys working around here are clueless and careless about this fact.:(

GEO

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

WHAT BOB MINNEY SAID BIG TIME:D

9. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

If your customers won't accept the Round-Up method, you might go with a PGR to slow the growth around the fence posts.......and wherever else your having difficulty trimming.:D

John

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Sneak up on the offending fence posts in the middle of the night...and remove them. ;)

I have a strong dislike for wooden post fences...especially the 'split-rail' variety. :D