1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming Azeala's

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by G.M.Landscaping, Jun 27, 2008.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I know your're supossed to trim them right after their done blooming.

What is the time frame on trimming them after they bloom, to trim them so they still bloom next year? And how hard can you cut back overgrown ones and still bloom next year?
  2. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I just cut 2 feet off of about 80 of them in a customers yard. Green is already coming back.

Did it last year the same way, they bloomed very well.

Last year they were about 6'. I cut 2' off = 4'. This year they were about 5'. I cut them down to 3'.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I HATE when these shrubs are used as trimmed hedges. I've seen them evenly trimmed, and the next year they may or may not have even bloom distribution. Same garden, same pruning, and one plant produces an even bloom and the one next to it has spotty flowering the next year.

Of course, we always end up doing what the home owner wants, and most of the time have to live with some idiot's bed planting design, but these shrubs are best used as specimen plantings, not in a bed, and allowed to grow naturally with little cut back and room to grow into their full glory. Using these shrubs as hedges is an abomination. Having said that, my customers are warned.... they may or may not have even blooming if you want them to be in a freakish square or round pom-pom.
  4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else...

And yes I spelled it wrong
  5. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I have cut them back as late as end of July here and the bloomed ok the next year. I'm worked for 5 hrs today trimming some that are about 7 ft tall and filled with honeysuckle. I probably have 5 more hrs to get them clean all the way out. I'm sure glad I bid this job on on hourly rate instead of flat rate bid:clapping:
  6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Do it now, you'll be Ok!