Trimming Between shadow box fences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmannj, Jan 18, 2007.

1. grassmannj

grassmannj LawnSite Member

I don't like spraying with round up and using a trimmer scares up the fence, any thoughts or comments?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you are a licensed applicator, just use Round up, I know you said you don't like it, but it's either that or tear the fence up w/ the trimmer. I guess you could do it all by hand:hammerhead:

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So why not run the trimmer in vertical plane rather than horizontal and let it dig out the grass for a inch or so away from the box? Cut the line short to keep from hitting flowers that hang over?

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Man I hate these type of fences. Here in North Texas some people call them "good neighbor" fences. I like to call them pain in the butt fences. If your customers and their neighbors will agree to it, you can cut about 2"off the bottom and trim under it [looks better than roundup]. I have even had a couple of people just want me to cut their fence and trim it the first time for them. With our bermuda and st. augastine grass this is the only way to make it look nice. If you use roundup the dead runners are still there and would be back in about 2 weeks.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I trim vertically on both sides. It puts a clean line on each side & lowers the ground level a little each time so that eventually I can trim horizontally.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

For best appearance, leave a gap under the fence and use a trimmer.

Attach a circular saw to a wood "skid" to keep an even spacing with the ground.