Trimming Bradford Pear tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by G Archer, Oct 15, 2006.

1. G Archer

G Archer LawnSite Member

I have a Bradford Pear tree approx 15 years old planted in front of my house.It has grown to the point,apprx 30 feet tall and is blocking the view of my house.Can you cut this tree back,if so when is the best time to do this? What is the best way to trim this tree? Thanks for any help.

Glenn Archer
    Middle Georgia
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Not completely sure about the best time. This tree does bear a pungent decorative fruit. I would suspect as with most fruit trees the best time to prune would be late winter/ very early spring, but I'm not certain about this. On a side note I planted two of these this year as they are a fast growing tree. Just wondered how yours has held up for 15 years? I ask because cities used to plant the heck out of these but the branch structure is weak and lifespan short (at least from what I've researched on them) So if you don't mind me asking please let me know the condition of yours, a pic would be great if you could manage. Thanks and good luck with it.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Bradfords are full,might try a tree service you can not trim high and the limbs are a mess.
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would cut it down and start over. Trees services here either limb them up or cut the tops out of them. They do it all summer. You won't kill the tree.
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

the bradford is a shi#% tree cut is down and plant something better.

If you must prune make all your cuts on the inside right at the main trunk
    First limb it up to the hieght you desire also known as collaring
    Then cut all the dead and damaged then thin it out these bad boys get thick with tons of growth open it up if you don't they just rot and drop wood everywhere. I wish they would ban this tree if you need a pear use a cleveland.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Exactly my thinking. There life expectancy is 15 years which is pathetic. I have rarely seen one that looks good after severe pruning. Most of the time if you limb them up they really lose there shape. I would rather top the tree out, and maintain its shape. Either way, you have to prune the tree or wind, ice, or weight will split the tree in two.
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I see one a week here spilt somewhere. 15 years is about all you are going to get out of this tree. I agree with the others, pruning this tree makes it loose its shape.
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Cut it down and be thankful it never did any damage.

Active Member of the Soceiety for Bradford Pear Extinction.
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! i know this is G Archer's thread but man do I feel stupid. I knew there were a lot of knocks against this tree, but man oh man you guys are making me rethink having them! I got the trees for free and now I see why :rolleyes: Oh well I planted them in an out of the way place.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Bradfords get to tall and full,with a lot of high winds they are limber and you will get splits try a dwarf pear the blooms are as good.