Trimming Bushes and Heat

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by IN2MOWING, Jul 17, 2005.

1. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Its going to be in the mid to high nineties here in the Midwest this week with the heat index over 100.

A customer has asked me to trim back yews, boxwoods and burning bushes.

IMO its way to hot and I dont think I should.

Am I right in thinking the heat will effect what I trim back and will harm it.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just trimmed lilac tree,few other small trees, spirea and evergreen bushes for a customer last Saturday and it was over 90 degrees. It will hurt you more than the bushes. I worked on them for 2 hours and got heat exhaustion. I didn't drink enough water and started getting sick and light headed. I drank over 1 gallon of water before I left the customers house and still didn't need to go the the bathroom. Now that is a lot of sweating.

Just tell the customer to water the bushes a few times the first week if they don't get rain and you be should be okay.

I had never trimmed bushes in the summer but I will be raising the prices next time for summer bush trimming.

3. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Thanks DLS.

Its going to be hot here this week and I fill my cooler up once every other day. Stay hydrated this week.

4. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Heck yea, it's been hot and humid in KC for a couple weeks now. I've been out in it everyday and take lots of breaks. Trimmed bushes will burn quickly in the dry hot weather so advise customers to use a soaker hose once a week on the bushes. Hopefully, they water the lawn and are familiar with a watering routine.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The newly cut leaves and under leaves that you expose to the hot sun by cutting off their cover above have a good chance of sunburning.

6. jebbster007

jebbster007 LawnSite Member

just dont take too much off and it'll be fine. the hacking will come when it cools off. i just take off most the new growth. i trim big nice apts and for the last three weeks its been nasty. they look great but are on irrigation

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

shrubs will be fine, you will suffer.

8. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

did the same thing the other day. customer hadnt maintained thier shrubs in a couple years.. trimmed back 4 big hollys, 2 large lilacs, spirea and an overgrown verigated dogwood. i usually do an application of fertilizer and water the shrubs a couple times after trimming.. helps them deal with the stress