1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming Bushes How much should I charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tommycorp, Jul 17, 2005.

1. tommycorp

tommycorp LawnSite Member

Hey All...I was doing some research on pricing for different lawn services and I noticed that the price range people charge for hedge trimming varried from $50 all the way up to $175. I understand that is pretty time consuming work but $175 seems really high but I don't want to low ball. Any Feedback would be appreciated.

2. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Depends how many bushes you trimmed and where you live. $175 seems like it would be appropriate for Beverly Hills. For Ill. I would say charge around $65-$85. Also try to advertise and have different discounts available.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends, you need to find out somewhat how long it takes AND the quality the customer expects. Some folk want intricate designs and would like their bushes to be shaped in ways that, to me, are too time-consuming but to other folk, well they're good at that so that is what they do.
    As for me, I cut them square or round, period. And I charge by the fuel used - A tank on the trimmer lasts 20 minutes WOT and if I bust my tail, I can cut some serious hedges in that 20 minutes and I charge 45 dollars per tank, which DOES include the cleanup. All in all if you are fast you can earn a TON of $$$ / hour but careful - haste makes waste.
  4. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

IMO You need to establish an hourly rate...my hourly rate is $43.50...Then just estimate how long it would take you to do that particular job, x your hourly rate + dump fees = your estimate
  5. TC120

TC120 LawnSite Member

Are you qualified to trim shrub/hedges? I've seen so many hack jobs from those in a "green industry" occupation. Doesn't mean just anyone with a gas trimmer is qualified to perform anything a customer asks them too. But if you're inclined to proceed, then as others stated, charge a hourly rate plus expenses. With 20+ years experience in tree/shurb trimming, I generally was getting paid far more than those just starting out.
  6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I just charged $165 for 2 hours worth of hedge trimming. Works out to $82.50 an hour which is pretty decent. Customer didn't have a problem with that price, but it's an $800,000 house over on the island. And she's a repeat customer.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ive been trimming hedges and bushes the better part of my life, but in the winter i go to the library and get lots of books on everything i can find in reguards to landscaping....to learn how to do it right.....really makes a difference.....id been doing some things incorrectly for years...

guys are right on, figure your hourly rate, and estimate time plus dump charges...