1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming bushes in winter

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NaturalImpressionsLawnC, Dec 29, 2005.

1. NaturalImpressionsLawnC

NaturalImpressionsLawnC LawnSite Member

It won't have any effect if I trim back some bushes during this time of year will it? I have a customer who is COMPLAINING NOW ( LOL) that some of her bushes purtrude into her walkway. Should I?
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yep and add the its cold out here surcharge on the invoice as well. What type of bushes are they? Woody? Shouldn't be to much of a problem I would suspect.
  3. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

If you are going to do it, I would do it minimally. You might get a freeze and they will be really shocked I think.
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimming at this time of year can be dangerous to the plant. If you must trim, keep the gas powered shears on the truck and break out the Felco pruners or loppers. You definitely don't want to shear all the tips of a shrub at this time of year, typically. Some well placed pruning cuts may give you the room on the walkway your client needs. What type of shrubs or trees are you dealing with?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I would get bumped off the site before I could answer this properly. She wants to spend money, go get it. Maybe she's worried about snow load "blousing" the branches across the path. A viburnum can be hacked down to the ground. A taxis not as much. Some shearing can be done when it's above freezing and if the bush is not too densely sheared to begin with.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LMFAO! I was thinking of the same thing. Those bushes can get a little wiry during the winter. :p
  7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Winter dormancy is an ideal time to prune plants if the plant is truly dormant (not actively growing, daily temps at or near freezing). Disease and insect pressure is low or not existent. It's easy to see the branching structure of deciduous plants. You won't get a flush of new growth after pruning. I don't know what your weather has been like. If temps have been near 50 than I would keep pruning to a minimum for fear of stimulating new growth.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too sure what your laughing at Haze. I just meant that it would take too long to type in all the info and I'd probably get bumped for inactivity.:)
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ummmm... OK. :drinkup:
  10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

As long as temps are consistent, I cut back decidious as much as nessasary, tight compact evergreens are another story, [ but if they are takeing up the walk ways, I too would use my hand pruner and loper, ......also a Great Time for Ornamental Trees, I'm doing a hight reduction to alot of clump birchs [ takeing back bronze birch borer damage].....by the time late spring comes no-one will even know they were pruned.........:waving: