Trimming Bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToddS, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Making my first bid on a commercial property tomorrow which will include trimming bushes!! Just wondering how many times in a season do you typically trim bushes and in what months? Thanks

ToddS

2. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Depend on the type of bushes. I would say 4-5 cuts here in Texas.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends a lot from variety to variety. Eleagnus you can figure on pruning 5-6 times a year. Something like Yaupon Holly much less. Say once or twice at the most. There are growth regulators on the market that will reduce the frequency of pruning, but it is expensive.

4. sal

sal LawnSite Member

It all depends on the type, but have you thought about a growth inhibitor? After trimming shrubs at the apartment complexes,and restaurants we apply the growth inhibitor to slow grow. This buyes us time and saves labor cost.

5. nuchdig

nuchdig LawnSite Member
    from oh

Damn!!!! 4 to 5 cuts, make me glad I live in the midwest. We prune everything by hand with Felcos ONCE! Taxus, Ilex, EAC, you name it. I must admit that there are a few instances where we go back in and do a light touch up. If you time your pruning properly you may be able to reduce the frequency.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

one major trim/prune.... minor touchups later where/when needed....I hate pruning

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

3 times a season here plus a little touch up.

8. lawnscapes

lawnscapes LawnSite Member

We trim shrubs 8-10 times a year in Houston, TX:(

9. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

sal,

What do you use as a growth inhibator? Very interesting...

Last year I quoted a residential in late spring figuring to do the hedges once and maybe some touch up.
    I cut them back 3 times last year!! So I basically did them twice for free..

10. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever she tells me to.