trimming bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Nov 26, 2000.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Here goes anther one of my questions. How do you get those bushes to look so smooth or straight? Do you use a gas trimmer or just pruning shears? And how do you charge for trimming bushes how often do you do them, I guessing twice a year? Thanks for the advice. Im only 14 so I need this kind of knowledge.
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Gas powered hedge trimmers for me.
    Small $5
    Large $10
    Ladder $20
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

gas powered echo hedge trimmers
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

On the question about how many times to trim, it would depend on the bush you want to trim,for flowering bushes if you trim them in fall they might not flower the next season, different bushes different times to trim. I imagine there is info about that in web,mabey someone knows addresses for info, or a library could have books on the proper times and ways to trim these. I have found that a good commerecial gas trimmer works the best, but it takes some practice to do it right,because you can butcher them up real quick. When I first started trimming bushes I bought a gas trimmer from home depo,it lasted a long time and was not as big or go as fast as commerecial trimmers, and when I learned proper ways I bought a commerecial trimmer and charge by the hour most of the time, but sometimes i will bid the job, and you can make even more money. :)
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When trimming shrubs, I give it a rough cut,then rake out the clippings. Then I give it a finale cut and don't rake. Shrubs look best from a distance. Don't stand 2 feet away, other wise you'll see all the imperfections. I use gas hedge trimmers. I also have an extended reach hedge trimmer.
    Prices are based on my hourly rate.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

useing gas here.....keep a invisible line of cut to aquire the desired shape ..remeber... what you see in small quirts... most cutomers won't ever get close enough to spot.
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I think he means that if you rake for a final time it pulls all the bush stems out and then got all the stems protruding out of the bush. I do the same thing as bob, cause the rake does more damage than good, as far as appearance is concerned.
  9. Reefdiver

Reefdiver LawnSite Member

Gas power is the best way to go . But dont forget safty I have seen alot of men that have been doing it for years cut a finger or two off. Your fine pruning will come in time. LOL it is kinda like an art.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Grassyfras, What Cos said was correct. I mean I don't rake the shrubs again. If you keep raking the shrubs after every cut, it will never look even. I do rake up the clippings!