trimming chain link fence?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sinkum, Aug 4, 2005.

1. sinkum

sinkum LawnSite Member

how do you guys trim chain link fence? i keep breaking line trying to get close and still cant get all the grass. (because some is on the other side) i used to love fences but now that im cutting them i wish they were banned.

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

Can you walk to the other side of the fence or can you use "round uo"?

3. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I walk backwards and take it slow, trim both sides and I'm careful not to damage the fence. Charge more for extra trim time and wear eye protection. It takes a lot of time to get the hang of it.

On my own fence I liquid trim (round-up).

Good to see you out there man what equipment did you end up with?

Cutter LLC

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I walk right to left. The trimmer head is at 1 o'clock, i stand at 7 o'clock and use medium throttle. I trim about 1500' of chainlink on a commercial property and my method seems to work well.

5. sinkum

sinkum LawnSite Member

round up is a good thing. i would use it on my own fence but the dog next door wont go away. i dont want to hurt him but that little sh#t knows when im there and wont get away from the fence.

hello Cutter,
    this website wont let me PM anyone yet. i dont know why. im still working on equipment trying to decide what accounts im really gona end up with. i had dinner with an ex boss today and told him i would like to cut for him. he runs a office max dc. he sounded happy to help and i hope it pans out. if it does i will be changing what im gona buy. before this happened i thought i would try to make a deal with zack on the 37 in dixon he cant get rid of. i have been looking at scags, grasshoppers, simplicity, dixie, exmark, but i still like the hustler. i want to make zack my dealer because hes close and seems to be very honest and hope to have a long relationship with him. i know from this website that dealers are important.

iv still got you in mind because my other buddy didnt pan out to well.

6. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

what about a propane torch, used em on the farm better than round up and NO LISENCE

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Turn your trimmer in edging position, walk backwards along fence. THEN trim along the bottom normally.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Use salt.....

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be going and doing anything to any turf unless you speak to BOTH parties, first. First of all, when you trim cyclone fence, you're NOT going to damage the fence. Second, so what if you use a little more string? It's CHEAP! Atleast it's self sharpening going down fence! Just keep bumping your trimmer head once in awhile.
    Here's what I do, as I'm trimming fence like that, as I am walking backward, I give each section a sidekick. This pushes the fence out and allows me to get at stuff I couldn't get before. When I trim down the otherside, I do the same thing. Just move right along with it. I don't even break my pace. In YOUR case, you aren't trimming down the other side...just leave it (the fence kicked out a bit)...it's fine. If you DO want straighten it, just pull it back.