trimming & edging guide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richmadmax, Jan 20, 2005.

1. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

I was looking in The turf maginzine and found a trimming & edging guide. Has anybody try this ? If you want to look at it, go to www.edgit.com

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen those before, but never used one. I think you would have to have a trimmer dedicated only to that, as I could see taking that thing on and off could become a nuisance.

3. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

These are the greatest thing since the invention of the ZTR. I have them on every trimmer I own and never take them off. They turn a trimmer into a 18-20" mower once you get good and they edge like a stick edger. You will trim faster and edge nicer than ever before.

The best thing I have found is they are great for cutting tall stuff in over grown areas. It keeps weeds and grass from wraping around the head.

For trimming and mowing small areas just tap the string out 3-4" past the disk. For edging, you only need about half so wear the string down by placing the disk sideways on the concrete. You can leave it out long but over time it will keep digging out the dirt next to the concrete. Again this wont be a wide trench like you are normally see. This keeps a perfect edge about 1/4" wide.

With the edgit I don't even own a 21" mower anymore.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Use the Search Feature on here as there are probably 10K threads on here on this item.

Personally I use a Commercial Dedicated Stick Edger and think that you'll fine most all LCOs do also.

5. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I'm an Edgit user and I like it very much....I plan to purchase more. I agree stick edgers have their place, and recognize it may be considered a "better" edge, but I have never lost any work or had a customer say "You know, THAT guy's edge on his lawn looks better than what you do"
    What I like about Edgit, if you are tired at the end of the day, drop the disc in the edge groove and edge ONE-HANDED, as fast as you can walk. The Edgit just rolls along in the groove....

6. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

There are many threads on a which is better ad stick edger or the edgit.

I personally feel there is no visible difference in the quality of edge between a edgit and a "stick edger" if the operator knows what he is doing. There is a definite time savings with the edgit over any other edger.

At the beginning of each season before mowing starts and when the ground is very dry, I edge with the walkbehind edger then follow up with a backpack blower and clean the dirt out of the edge / slot next to the concrete. Once the edge is cut at the beginning of the season, I trim it back every week or every other week with the edgit.

I usually get 3-5 customers a years asking how much extra I charge to make them look like that (usually neighbors). When I say nothing, it is included and give them a quote they ask when they can sign up.

The edgit is in no way similar in quality to using a string trimmer without the guide. There are a lot of people who say they have always used a string trimmer to edge and can do it just a good as a stick eger. Well, that is just bull especially when it comes to picky customers.

I personally hate the large gaps left next to concrete left by string trimmers. I often charge new customer extra to fill in the damaged area done by the previous LCO. I'll fill the canyons next to the concrete with dirt and reseed. This makes the customer realize the difference in your quality standards and also makes them talk with their neighbors which is always a good thing.