1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming & Edging techniques ! Before or After the cut ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, May 29, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

A question for the pros, Im a homeowner who likes to keep the property well manicured. Do you typically trim the mulch bed circles & edge the side walks before or after you cut the lawn.

Ive tried different ways over the years & usually find that trimming & edging prior to cutting the grass works better. Any thoughts on this ??
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

always works better.a nicer cleanup with the mower pickin up all that crap thats left.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am assuming when you refer to edging and trimming that you are using the word edging as a steel-bladed process and trimming as the plastic string method... That having been said, edge first, mow next, trim last, how I do things.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Especially when mowing the same property week after week, you should be able to tell where your mower will go and where it won't.

Trim, edge, mow, and blow. :)
  5. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

Sorry , all my edging is done with a trimmer (string method) I use the trimmer to neaten up the edges of the side walks where the walk meets the grass & the same with the mulch beds. I just trim up the over grown grass that loves to regrow over the previous weeks trimming job.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Yep..this is what I do...Only after I trim, I blow extra debris if needed.

I don't care what anyone says....

A string trimmer cannot give you the edge an edger can...and If you don't use an edger, you doing bad work...doing bad work, then most likely lowballing.

Get a blade edger..and watch the referals add up.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

FYI, this dude is a homeowner.

I always mow first. I try to minimize the trimming.
  8. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I disagree. I have a Mclane edger and an Echo trimmer with an Edgit. The trimmer definately gives a cleaner cut. I also has the benfits of kicking up less debris and will not damage sprinkler heads.

I use the edger for establishing edges on new properties, Removing sod or straightening a crooked edge, or for the first edging of the season. After that it all trimmer.

If I thought the quality was less with the trimmer I would not use it.

BTW- I am able to edge AFTER I mow using the trimmer due to the decreased amount of debris kicked up. Edges look better to me after the mow since you are not running the wheels over your nice tight edges after you edge.

My .02
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

If the grass is very long, I'll trim first so that I don't leave a bunch of long clippings on the mowed lawn. Other then that, I mow first.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i mow then trim and then blow away the clippings