1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming Florsynthia Bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TNLC owners, Oct 16, 2003.

1. TNLC owners

TNLC owners LawnSite Member

I would like to know how far I should cut a Forsythia (spelling) bush back after it has bloomed? Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You can take a forsythia back to the ground after it blooms.
  3. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

I've seen them pruned to the ground and reshaped as the plant(s) grew back. can be trimmed several times during the growing season. or left to grow naturally.

you plant it
    I'll maintain it
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TNLC,

Here is a quote from this site.

"Forsythia should be pruned after blooming each spring. Remove one- fourth (1/4) of the plant starting the fifth year after planting to encourage new basal shoots. Remove old wood at ground level. Never prune or cut the entire plant back by one-fourth (1/4) from the top. "
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No offense, Gopher, but I've pruned, over the years, probably close to a hundred forsythia to the ground, mostly for rejuvenation, and I've never lost a single one. In fact, the result is a fuller, easier to manage plant. I've also taken large forsythia, pruned them to the ground, and divided them successfully.
  6. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

Everybody has a different opinion about pruning. Here's mine.

Gopher is correct in that Forsythia pruning should be an airing out of the plant. Meaning that you select dead or diseased branches, and any crossed or ugly branches, plus enough others to remove the center enough to allow air circulation. Cut these branches off at the ground and leave the rest whole. I've used 30% of the branches.

The others are correct in that a complete and hard pruning allows a renewal of the entire bush. Basically... if it's ugly you can start over. Renewal pruning corrects many deciduous shrubs. Customers wanted some Golden Vicary removed. I convinced 'em and did this...within a month I looked like a smart landscaper.

The troublesome part about Forsythia is their wild habit. When a Forsythia reaches too far ...like over a walk path... I even trim them. But very selectively. Last month I purchased some completely shaped Forsythia from a nursery. I was confused but thought they knew what they were doing. Right now they look terrible and I'm embarassed

But the actual proper pruning method for health of Forsythia is the airing out method. Same with Lilacs I believe.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I always prune mine back to about the size of a basketball. Forsythia grows so rapidly they will be to full size each year so its best to rejuvenate every other year or every year depepnding on how large you want them to grow.