1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trimming hedges and fertilizing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by evergreenmike, Oct 28, 2007.

1. evergreenmike

evergreenmike LawnSite Member

is fall a good time to trim hedges and what is a good hedge trimmer. Is there a rule of thumb when pricing fertilizing for lawns? Charge the same for mowing or by the hour. if so what is a good hourly rate for labor should i charge that rate for all labor. i was thinking 35 an hour i dont know if that is a reasonable rate for my area. What about marking up material 25% to much or to low
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

4)don't know your market area only the experienced from your area can answer this.
    5)25% is low for live plants, High for material/supply****

****What is high and low for some people may not be for others.
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

most hedges in our area of New England are very tolerant of fall/winter trimming, tip browning could be caused by several different things. wrong type of trimmer blade lube, dull blades, trimming on a hot day, trimming to fast, trimming to often, trimming in drought conditions, trimming to heavy, and many more reasons. Don't worry to much about growth spurting, healthy hedges will growth spurt no matter what you do. i would worry more if it never spurted. I am not contradicting what "Marcos" posted about trimming hedges he is in a way different geographical area. But he is correct about the blooming hedges do not prune until after they change
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant just start cutting bushes and hedges, you have to know what your cutting, the proper time, the proper pruning method for a species.....

you screw up and expensice landscape, you better have lots of insurance....
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, like going too deep on some evergreens defoliates them virtually forever. But some plants can be cut-back to bare stems and regenerate growth.

On hedge shears, I'll always pick double-sided.