Trimming Job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turkp15, Sep 29, 2003.

1. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone
    I need a time estimate? The job is a Shrub trimming. There is a total of 78 shrubs to be trimmed, but I only have to do 1 side and some of the top on 50 of the shrubs. These 50 are 12ft high and on the property line thats why I only have to do one side. the rest are from 1-6ft high and I have to do all around. all the shrubs will be squared shaped. I'm having a hard time coming up with a good time estimate.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Charge by the hour.
  3. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

thats what I'm doing, but I can't figure out how many hours
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

First time trimming I assume?Have you practiced trimming on your own or a relatives?Are you going to need a ladder for some?What kind of shrubs?Are you including clean-up?Will you remove the debris or can you dump somewhere on site?
    Just trying to get some more info out of ya
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

never charge by the hour if you know what you are doing.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey turkp15, can you get some pictures of the property, that usually helps give a better idea of what is up with the bid.
    bush trimming can be a great money maker, if you bid accordingly. Remember people are paying you to do quality work, which they either cannot, or don't want to do. SO bid a fair price, which will cover all your expenses and time. But be sure to do a quality job, if that is what you are promising.
    I'd bid in the area of $50 an hour, but would like to see some pics to give you a better idea.
    Also, I never tell the customer "I'll do it for $50 an hour" I figure how long it should take me, and then if I figure 8 hours, I'll just tell them it'll be $400. Which in my head I know will cover labor costs, disposal fees, equipment, gas, licenses, insurance, taxes, etc. SO depending on your situation, I'd follow the same thoughts. Don't forget drive time and dumping fees!

Hope this helps.
  7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Are we talking power pruning or hand pruning?
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yeah, charge by the job. And then just work really hard at cutting down it takes you to do the work. When you bid yards, you bid by job, telling them it will take you a while, then you're in and out in 10 minutes. BID BY THE JOB!!! Plus what kind of shrubs are they? 12ft'ers will probably have some big---- limbs coming out the sides. Consider you might have to use some loppers or a chainsaw once in a while.
  9. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

The over growth on the shrubs isn't bad 1" thick limbs at the most . I don't know want kind of shrub it is. I gave the guy the estimate for $500 w/o dumping. It should't take more then 6 hours. I usually charge $50 an hour for shrub work, but on this one I wanted to price by the job to see if I came out better. an if you do the math $50 an hour for 6 hours is $300 so I think I came out good. BTW I will take before and after pictures went I'm done.
  10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

You think you can average 7 min per shrub on 78 shrubs? 50 of which are 12' which means you will be up and down the ladder. You might be too low in your time.
    How many helpers will you have? I would charge at least 10 hours with one helper.