Trimming Leland Cyprus Trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 23, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

I recieved a call from a woman who has 14 leland cyprus trees.......and she wants the top 1/3 of the tree cut off or trimmed. Can anyone help me out with how i cut it? (Straight across? diagonal?) And also what to charge? I have no idea how to do this.....and yes i know, i should probally have training and stuff like that, but i am going to try and attempt it anyway. PLease help.....thanks guys

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what it's like down there in NC.. but here you need to be licensed to do any tree trimming... even a single branch.

Are you willing to accept responsibility if you kill all 14 of those Lelands? I know I wouldn't cut the tops off them.

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Leyland Cypress in my opinion should have a round-over type trim. Usually a good rule of thumb is to trim no more than 25% of the tree. Remember, when pricing the job you will have all this brush to remove which is a major PITA. Pricing all depends on the size of the tree. In my area the market will bear about $75 per tree if it's less than 20-25 feet tall. Hope this helps some.

4. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Why anyone would want to help someone who obviously by his written statement above has absolutely no respect for the green industry or the professionals whom make their living in it what so ever?

In my opinion it is those who know that they need training and knowledge but don't care to take the time to gain it, instead they just go full steam ahead and hope they don't mess something up that are the biggest threat to the green industry out there.

I am not trying to be ugly but the above post just makes me crazy :dizzy:

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

2 sides to this as he is asking to be taught, but is going to go at it. I have learned a lot from this site and some of those things have helped me to get jobs over others that I believe at one time may have had more knowledge than me. BUT it also taught me to do some things right and how to charge the right price as some things I just did not know how long it would take.
    A good person with good intentions will do the right thing and will be good for the industry. A poor person that is just out for themselves will soon be out of business anyway so I don't think info will do to much damage.

By the way I round off the top so it does not look to chopped off.

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Come on tjgray, give the guy a break. I think it's admirable to be a go-getter and try new things. At least he is coming to a place and asking for advice before he goes forward with the job. Hang in there WalkerMan9669 don't become discouraged, you'll do the job just fine.

7. tjgray

He is asking for you to teach him how but has already stated that he is not willing to take the time to be properly trained.

That to me shows dis-respect for the industry and to those of us who strive to be professional. He will get no breaks from me with that kind of attitude.

8. tjgray

9. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

I cut about 6 inches off the top of Leylands and feed them with High Nitrogen feritilizer or chicken manure this time of year, they grow wide and quick. Watch out for grubs, they will eat a leyland up.
    :cry:

10. tjgray

I doubt very seriously that walkerman knows what a grub is much less what to do with one.