Trimming mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bunky, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bunky

bunky LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new Trim Mower Approx. 21in.. I saw a cub cadet with Casters on the Front.. What are others opinions on these??? and What other brands have casters on the front...

2. Snapper made one. I was dumb enough to buy it.
    Those things are NOT trim mowers. The little caster wheels are never pointed in the right direction. They're usually just scuffing and spinning and not doing much good at all. Plus the little arms holding them bend really easy, getting the height of cut out of adjustment.
    A mower with solid mounted wheels would have been much better IMHO.

Dave

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

go with lawnboy 2cycle

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm considering an Airens with castors up front. they are building the new ones stronger than they used to.

5. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I had an interest in the same model and have since decided against it. It was the 'commercial appearance' that caught my eye thinking it would 'fit-in' with my other equipment and look professional on the job. On such a small mower I feel the casters are more a hinderence than a benefit, they look good but their performance isn't what you would expect. Everyone has their own "pet-pick" for a trim mower, myself I'd suggest a Honda. If that's out of the budget I'd choose by engine, again I'd go Honda.

Just my worthless anti-lawnsite "finance it all 'til you go bankrupt" opinion.

6. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

PaulJ-I would recommend that you get a demo of the Ariens. It is heavy and does not mow on banks or hill. I bought one last year and hate it!! No one on the crew will use the unit. It was a $600 mistake. They should take the commercial label off the unit!!

Paul

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Get the Cub.I love mine.It's great around trees and is easy to turn.No more lifting the front to turn the darn thing.I use one hand most of the time(mowing guys,mowing) and can spin it to go around obstacles.On hills you'll have to lock the castors in place(forward) as the mower will want to go downhill with you.It's 6 speed and I've put it through some tough thick centipede,bermuda,and bluegrass.Mulches great.Gives a great cut too.
    Only time will tell how long it will last,but so far,so good.I use it on almost every account where the Z just cannot go.

8. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I've got an MTD with the front casters. Yeah I know it's a cheap mower. But I love it. Once I got used to the casters it's great. And for a "cheap mower" it's the best cutting 21" I've ever had. It actually lays a really good stripe.