Trimming.. Or Trim and Edge??

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, Jul 24, 2006.

?

Trimming.. Or Trimming and Edging??

1. Just Trim what the Mower Missed

29.5%
  2. Trim Once.. Flip the Trimmer over and Edge

70.5%
  1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I see some landscaper who after they mow they use the String Trimmer. Most of them Trim the Grass and then go back and flip the Trimmer over and edge with it. However, Some of them just do the Trimming. I fall under the Trim and Edge type.. Every maintenance job I do. Do you guys think Lawn Maintenance Should include just Trimming or Trimming and Edging??

-SH

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I cut a good edge with the edger then maintain it with the weedwhacker turned at an angle. After awhile it will need to be edged again with the edger. I can usually go 3 or 4 times with the weedeater before it needs the edger again. I have some client though that want the edger used every time and some dont care as long as it looks decent.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about maintaning the edge of sidewalk/grass or the edge of grass/flowerbeds? I do both if my customers have a flower bed with no border.

Always use the stick edger on sidewalk/grass edges even if it really doesnt need it. I will also trim the edges of flowerbeds and use the trimmer to edge them every other week.

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a stick edger instead of turning the trimmer on it's side. it's faster and doesn't shoot rocks up your nose.

5. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i always get customers who's biggest complaint is that their old guy used the string trimmer to edge they believe that it burns the grass

6. natco

natco LawnSite Member

I'm new in the business, so here is maybe a silly question: For you guys who use an edger on the sidewalks every so often (or weekly), are you charging the customer extra? I have it in my pricing to charge extra if I edge, but under normal weekly maintenance, I just trim it with the trimmer and it is then just part of my lawn cut charge.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I edge all concrete edges with a stick edger, every visit.

I trim all bed, obstacle, and asphalt edges with a string trimmer, every visit.

It's all included in the price, and I won't NOT do it for a lower price.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. It's nothing to run the edger along a concrete surface edge every other week and it keeps it looking great.

If there is a lot of overgrowth, it's more of a PITA and more time consuming to edge, so I'll charge the customer for the initial edge, but no extra charge to maintain it.

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Same here.I will charge if it looks like it has not been done in years but after that it part of my price.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Its not nearly as clean. I have tried both ways and used a trimmer when my edger broke down in mid day. Not near as fast and not near as clean.

I have seen guys edge with a trimmer where the edge is darn near 2 inches from the concrete. Looks like crap and there is always clover and other weeds growing up in it.

If you price your jobs accordingly there should be no issue about time to walk back to the truck and get an edger.