Trimming.. Or Trim and Edge??

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, Jul 24, 2006.

Trimming.. Or Trimming and Edging??

1. Just Trim what the Mower Missed

2. Trim Once.. Flip the Trimmer over and Edge

1. musician/lawnman

musician/lawnman LawnSite Member

I'll run an edger the 1st time or 2 to get it in shape, Then maintain it with a trimmer. Like someone said earlier.... It really is an artform & takes some practice, but once you got it down it's faster. One tool, it's already in your hand & running. I make 1 trip around the homes with a trimmer & trim what needs to be trimmed & edge what needs to be edged, Then 1 trim around with a blower..... DONE & GONE!

Never had any complaints at all. I do find the edge line will be a little wider with a trimmer (not 2 inches but wider than an edger line) but I find it grows so fast here for 6-7 months of the year that just using an edger looks good for only about 2 days (I won't be back for 7) the trimmer leaving a little wider gap keeps it in check til I return.
  2. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

I use a stick edger for sidewalks and driveways and a line trimmer for everything else the mower missed.
  3. monro

monro LawnSite Member

edger for edging weedeater for weedeating
  4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i fall in the 2nd category, trim then flip it and edge simultaneously.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

trimming and edging always looks nice
  6. SpEnt

SpEnt LawnSite Member

it all depends where you are from central fl and edger is required for all of my 80+ accounts and on a weekly basis...there is no comparison between a weedeater and a edger..
  7. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

how well do you like the machine i was debating on getting this one or similar, or to get a normal powered edger by sthil or shindiawa.
  8. karlgrooms

karlgrooms LawnSite Member

I do what ever it takes to make the property look finished and fresh. After a quick look to check, to get limbs, trash, toys etc. up. I know whether or not the edger is needed or if the trimmer will suffice.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have a couple points/questions
    1. over time an edger is better than string in my opinion
    2. i once read on here a stick edger is for maintaining an edge and not establishing. i had one over grown about 6" and i spaded that sucker then edged it
    3. what is everyones thought on asphalt. i had to explain to a cust. that the reason the drive does not look like the curb and sidewalk was that concrete has a definite edge and the asphalt wanders like a river
    4. i always felt i could edge but one helper edged for me and now i have a gutter at one of my favorite properties. i'm considering about 5 $1.30 bags of topsoil and filling all of the edge for free over the winter and edge it next year.
  10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That's the way I do it.