Trimming Pampas (Sawgrass)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by khutch, Oct 1, 2005.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Never messed with this stuff - Looks nasty...
    Any tips? I figure it is a Spring job.....

2. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bother pruning the stuff ,if the plant is far enough away from anything combustable ,then set it alight !!!!! this is the ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETYS recommended way to deal with pampas grass...the next year the plant will have lots of new young shoots and stems..

3. Rollacosta

Actualy this is a fall/winter job..stuff some news paper in the 'clump' and just set it alight..it burns realy fast.....you will never acheive much by trimming it !!!

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

khutch

Two ways I have found to deal with most ornamental Grasses are.

1st to take a power pruner and just cut it clean to the ground. This I believe is not too much different than the burning advise already given.

2nd Is to use a pitch fork to Comb the thatch out. I believe this is more work that cutting to the ground, But looks a lot better.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Take a rope and tie it up to a tight bundle
    Then cut it off below the knot with a chain saw
    Then throw the whole bundle on the truck

Good Luck !

:)

6. Rollacosta

I like the above idea

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a tip on here last year and Im gonna try it this year,its close to the rope deal. Use duct tape and cut below the tape and then dispose of the grass

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I would burn it if it was mine, but no way the client would go for having that burnt stump hanging 'round all winter...Like the rope/duct tape idea - Thanks!

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this thread should be merged with the bamboo thread and then they (plants, not the threads) could BOTH be napalmed at the same time? :cool2:

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Usually you don't cut pampas grass back till early spring, late winter. It's something to do just before the grass starts greening up! Cut it back now and you do chance it winterkilling a bit. tho iv'e never seen one totally die. If it's hitting a house, as many do because they get HUGE over the years, it may be time to just remove it completly.

I use the pull type tie down straps that are 6 feet long or so. Hook one end around a bunch of stalks and go around it gathering it up as you go until you can hook the strap to itself. yank it tight and use gas powered hedge trimmers to cut it off about 10" to 12" high. Chainsaw works well too, but dosn't leave the "stump" as pretty, and is pretty hard on the chain as well.