Trimming..... Separates the men from the boys.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Aug 25, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

The first thing i teach a new employee is how to trim properly. nothing bothers me more than to see a beutifully cut lawn with no or poor trimming. do you all agree that trimming can make or break an aspiring lawn care company???

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

NO, I think not knowing your cost is the biggest reason for failure. Trimming is just a function of the job that can be easily taught

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like some good trim work! :rolleyes:

I think I am faster with the trimmer then I am with the mower. I spent many months with other LCO's doing nothing but trimming. Got to were when I was allowed on the mower I just wanted to keep on trimming. I learned were a mower could and could not get on a lawn and wacked accordingly.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I thought this thread was going to be about tough trimming. I see people post here who talk about going 15, 20 and 25 lawns on one tank of fuel. I can burn a tank on one residential.

5. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I agree a good mow without a good trim leaves a bad mark but like someone says on the sight as long as you got an good edge who cares about the crummy job you did just joking but using a whole tank of gas on one prop unless it is huge your wasting time and time is money not loosing sight just keeping pace

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Big property. $175 a cut.

7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Wacker Gas does seem to last forever. Well untill you are as far away from the gas can as possible.

8. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

You trim in the North? Just Kidding :waving: and yes I agree, trimming and edging make the difference IMHO ......... Why I just mow now, lol

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

So I guess by all the above post that to be successful company you only need a good trimmer :dizzy: Note to self: Hire some more monkeys next wk.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You'd think so, wouldn't ya Mac?? LOL!

But your right, trimming is certainly not what is going to make or break a business. A poor trimmer will cause you to waste money and cause you frustration, but a whole lot more to a businesses success or failure then trimming.