Trimming Shrubs in Mid Summer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim Wright, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question for you all.

I have this account where the shrubs (seem to be Japeneese Red Barberry) did not need trimming in spring, and they have grown and are in need now.

However it is my understanding that it is best to do the trimming in spring and fall, so I was waiting until fall.

The property service manager said that the president of the managing company wants them trimmed ASAP.

Also, there has been no rain to speak of here.

Should I have the manager sign a waiver or no-fault, no-harm statement, in case these shrubs decide to die?

Or, do you think that the plants will be ok?

Thank you,

Tim

2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

If the shrubs are just in need of a trim and are not out of control, then just trim them so they will pleasing to the eye. They should be fine. I would try to wait for the first sign of rain though.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can water them first. if its feasible to do.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The fact that no irrigation has been received, it is hot, and the manager is asking for maintenance - it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a waiver.
    You have a question about these plants, and if you can get a waiver without alienating the manager I think it wise to protect yourself.
    Ordinarily trimming now shouldn't be a problem but I am not familiar with your site - it is best to go with your instincts on this one.

5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger boss verified my concerns with some online deal and decided to wait until fall.

Shewwwwwww.

Thank you for your replies.

Tim

Tim

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Cool:waving: