trimming shrubs, misc. work...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ghettoscaper, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ghettoscaper

ghettoscaper LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

i see that everyone on this page advises the charge of $50-100/man hour.... I plan on doing some shrub trimming and i want to know if i should double the price if i am working with another guy. Also, if i do come up with an estimate, is it uncommon for the price to be different upon completion of the job? ex. if it would take longer or less amount of time....or should i just come up with a solid number i am happy with and stick with it?

also should i charge the same hourly rate for bush removal and fence removal etc. I understand you guy's distaste for low ballers and i dont want to screw myself or workers in the area.. let me know what you think.. thanx

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

$50 per man-hour seems about right.

We typically get $125 per CREW hour, and I figured that at $50/hr/man, $24/hr for the truck and chipper.

I don't think some wiggle room is out of line in estimating, either.

Some jobs (mostly work for my landscapers & storm) are done stricly by the hour, the rest are based on a solid price.

Of course, the set-price jobs are based on an experienced guess on how many hours I think the job will take. I usually allow 10% variance; so some jobs, I'll actually bid at (for example) $500 +/- $100.

Does that make sense?

3. ghettoscaper

ghettoscaper LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

yeah that seems pretty close... this trimming job should take about two hours if we're hustling. i was figuring around 200. so thanks for the reinforcement, i just wanted to make sure i was in the ballpark.