1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming some branches for cust????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

What would you do in this situation... I have a cust in a small yard subdivision and she wanted me to trim some branches that were hanging in her yard. The tree is from the neighbors behind her house. Actually there were two trees from 2 neighbors. No major trimming it can all be cut with a from the ground with a pole saw.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

What does the neighbors say,please tell me that you are not going to trim the trees without permission.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure the rules vary from place to place, but here you may cut anything that is hanging onto your property. As long as you can do it with a pole saw from the ground, go ahead.
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd ask the neighbors first to make sure nobody will be mad about it. its just the polite thing to do IMO.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes I do agree with Al, subdivision rules will vary.
    However, no matter what, I wouldn't touch a neighbor's tree without first getting permission from the neighbor. You never know, your customer might have already asked the neighbor to trim the branches, and the neighbor refused. Now your customer wants to get you involved to do the dirty work.
    Ask the neighbor first.
  6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Being polite and asking the neighbor is the way to get along. But legally, if it is over the property line, it can be cut.

Do these branches interfere with you doing the mowing? If not, what reason does your customer have for asking you to do it? Is there bad blood between your customer and the neighbor? Are you just being used as a tool to "get" the neighbor? And will your customer then tell the neighbor "No, I have no idea why the dumb lawn man cut your tree."
  7. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I forgot to mention there is a wood fence that seperates all the yards. I think she wanted to be able to see all her fence. It doesnt interfere with mowing but some of her plantings are looking pretty pathetic since the branches are over them.
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

IN Indiana you have the right to cut anything that hangs on your property < If you have a a#$ for a neighbor like i do who lets his place look like crap which in turn dont help your property values . I know it would be a polite thing to do by asking but sometimes it just wont happen . My neighbor has a filthy walnut tree which over hangs my garage roof and is destroying my roof and gutters so i get on top of my roof with my pole saw and cut and trim it then he gets the trash and branches .... this guy you just cant reason with
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you can only cut back to the property and not so much cuttingthat you endanger the health of the tree. I woudl ask the neighbor if you can come on his property to properly prune the tree back to the main leader. if the neighbor will not let you on the property, then hack away at the branch onthe property line. Your customer is well within their rights.

But I hated people that hacked a tree at the property line It alway looked like crap. go the extra mile,. maybe the neighbor will pay your to some of the trimming to keep the tree balanced. which means more money...and a new customer....

Make this an oppurtunity.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had a client this year that wanted the same thing done. The top growth of the tree was shading her pampas grass and he wasn't looking too good. I know the laws here are, if the tree is hanging over your property, then you the neighbor are allowed to trim those hanging branches. I told the client that the neighbors might be a little pissed. She said that they probably wouldn't notice and to wack away....so I did.

I personally had my neighbor plant some fast growing tree on our property line....why...who knows. But I wacked that thing without asking or telling. After the fact I told them. It was hitting my leaf truck when I went by it and there was no way to avoid it. On another note, I had a huge piss elm tree on my property overhanging the neighbors shed/workshop. I hired a professional to cut it way back because I know the first icestorm would take that branch down and destroy his shed and didn't want that liability.