Trimming: String length?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Insometry, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Insometry

Insometry LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Just wondering what others do.

I take my protective guard off and use almost a 10 inch long single piece of string at low RPMs. Use the same for edging.

Do you use a guard? Long string or short? Fast or slow? Do you think running low RPMs is bad for the weedeater? (I know stihl says to only cut at full speed...)

just wondering
  2. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

My guard is off and htats the first thing I do when I get trimmers. But I carry around wire stripers. that way if my line gets too long just cut and go. You can really hear the motor start to bog down so I cut my line to where I have about 3" of line on each side. You dont want your line too long because it can cause premature clutch failure, overheating, and can also cause your spark arrestor to clog. Trust me been there and learned from it.
  3. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

thats* sorry typo

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

They Say It's Not The Size Of It ,It's How You Use It.:D
  5. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

no wire cutters for me...if i bump too much line out, i turn it on edge and wer it down a tad on some concrete..
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

And the time you'll save using 10" of string over 3" will more than pay for a new trimmer in a couple of years. 3"?? I'd fire you on the spot. Talk about high RPM, if I ran my shins at 3", they'd all be in the trash.
    Acute Cut likes this.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Eleven inches, one line [with manual head that's been balanced]and run R's at any length I want.
  8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Shindaiwa T-230 with manual head (dual line). I lay the line across the head and go about 2" past the edge.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know the exact length, but I like it as long as possible. These machines are not gonna last forever anyway, if you get a couple good years out of them, great. So I don't worry about damaging them with too long line.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I've never killed a t-27, or t-270, although after eight or ten years it just mader more sense to replace entire unit than all the small parts that wear out, and listen to piston slap.