Trimming the fat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Dec 5, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why is that.i seriously want to know because as i see it everything this company touches it turns to gold .of course your not going to add 24 new employees at once .when work justifys more employees .

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Unproductive hours...transition time...employee expenses...turnover..etc..

My reference was the transition from <b>20</b> to <b> 24</b>.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

3. ronslawncare

my mistake i read the post to quick .

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3 Mil in sales doesn't guarentee ANYTHING!

I am in the process of scaling back to be able to work entirely alone. Looking at profitability instead of revenue. Going to try to get the aerating in high gear for 2002.

5. Absolutely there is a fine line between growth and more money.

You should figure out your cost of being in business down to the hour, if not the minute and then figure out how much more money each employee can generate. This will let you know if it is feasible or not. Sometimes I think money is the last thing to be considered.

I am about to hire another guy and I don't think I even have enough work for him BUT, that being said........him being on board should provide me with some relief and headaches. And when spring comes I can stop saying no and start saying yes to phone calls soliciting work from us.

this is my third expansion, for me 1 guy is usually a crew, so everytime is a worry. But, they have all worked well, expecting this one to work out well also.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

65hoss,

How many employees do you have now? I know of a local here that did the same. Scaled down to just himslef. Said he had higher profit and much less headaches.

Matt

7. ronslawncare

yea but how much can a solo operation handle not much serioulsly .pretty soon the wear and tear gona kick in .spreading yourself out to thin going to make you loose more work than gain.
    i know that its possible to about a 100 or so accounts weakly solo but why would want to.even that much i would have at least one guy working maybe even two guys every 50 accounts add a helper every 100 add a truck .i know that its much more to this but being solo puts a limit on your work always.

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think you can say being solo is better or worse. It is just what the owner prefers. I know I couldn't work solo. Never did, never will.