trimming tips

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ajordan193, May 6, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Anyone got any tips on shrub trimming. I know practice makes perfect...but some things are easy to trim and others i just look at and think **** how do i trim that. How does everyone do it soo easy?

-Andrew

2. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

what just shrubs in general or a particular shrub?

To many variables in your question

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

This is where a little knolege goes a long way..learn your shrubs and learn when and how they bloom and you will learn what needs trimming ,how and when.Invest in a good plant book that explaines the different types of shrubs and how to prune them.
    I suggest The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Andrew

I suggest taking a pruning course at your local communtiy college or vocational school, a little knowledge will take you a long way.

'Trimming' to most folk (Joe Homeowner or 'professional') is pulling out the power shears and shaping the plant into some gawd-awful unnatural edward scissorhandsesque abomination aka 'Shear Madness'.

Knowing when and how to prune and what tools to use when pruning is invaluable. A good pair of secateurs will take you farther than hand shears, power or otherwise.

James

5. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

thanks for the info. I'm going to purchase The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants asap. I'm still new to the whole landscaping aspect, cutting is a breeze. just trying to expand my business to other opportunities. I will have to look into that class you mentioned. Thanks again

-Andrew