1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimming without the guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, Jun 5, 2014.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I've been seeing a few guys trimming without the guards on their weedeaters. What's the advantage? I may try it out if theres no big problems with it. I would imagine if you bumped it one good time it would send too much string out and wrap around the head.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It's lighter.

And you can get the string out to the width of a push mower.

I like a guard, so on ours we use the Stihl brush cutter guard and take the bottom skirt off along with the line cutter.

With the line out longer, you can trim about 3 times faster, with lower RPM's and less scalping.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I run no guards but I run fix string heads I don't think I would do that with a feeder head
    Sure does help I would say 10 times faster and I think I burn less fuel
  4. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

First thing we do when we get a new weed eater is take the guard off. If you edge using your weed eater it is a lot easier to see where your line is and the guard wont get in your way. Also, as has been said, you can get out more line which is beneficial in some cases as well.
  5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Speed feed heads make life easy if you get to much string out or like I do I use different lengths string all the time
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

There is no advantage to running without a guard.
  7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Would you rather have a 16 inch push mower or 21?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot what it's like to operate a trimmer with a guard. Occasionally, too much line will come out when i accidentally bump it, but it's rare. I couldn't be as efficient with a guard; just don't like it. I have trouble seeing my edge, and occasionally i can use long line for light trimming.
  9. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

I thought the same way until I tried it. :laugh:

I burnt up the clutches on an echo running without a guard and still wouldn't be caught dead trimming with one on there.
  10. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Speed head makes this easy when you put too much string out there. A simple twist of the head fixes that issue. I couldn't agree with you more though, I'm faster and much much more precise then I was with the guard on there. And I can sure as heck edge much more perfect with the guard gone.