1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trimming

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Feb 27, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Is it necessary to trim each time u mow? How many of u guys trim each and every time? How long would it take on avg for a .14 acre home with an avg ammount of trees/shrubs? I'm trying to calculate it. Do some custumers allow u to trim every other time. Should I charge additional for this or just include it in the price each time. If it takes considerable amount of time to trim that will up the price of course!

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

are you talking about weedeating or shrub trimming?
    if weedeating then yes you should include it in your price and do it every time you cut
    if shurb trimming you should charge extra and you trim shrubs 4 times a year

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

No its not weedeating, because that term does not exist...its trimming! learn that! and yes you need to trim every time. Its really unproffesional if you dont. good luck!

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, trim every time. The shrub trimming reference, how many times, when you do it will depend on the shrub. New growth flowering, old growth flowering, this makes a difference.

5. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

What about stick edging? I do it about once a month. Is this about right?

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i do it every week. its just easier to keep up on it, because once it starts growing over and you have to cut more. it just means more clean-up and more time its going to take.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Do everything weekly....mow,trim,edge,blow. do all of it everytime you mow the persons lawn. you will have a better lco.

8. green-pa

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I am ignorant about edging:confused:
    What exactly is that? And do I need another tool besides, mower,
    trimmer ( weed eater), and blower for this?

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a maniac when it comes to trimming and edging. Usually trimming takes me as long as mowing, or longer! You can make a much better hourly rate by skipping intensive trimming, but I am just too fussy to do that.

10. green-pa

Wow, so if it takes me 20-30 minutes to cut a lawn, I could easily figure 20-30 more just for trimming/edging/blowing!? That's really going to make me have to up the prices I plan on charging!