trimming

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kpetzold, Oct 4, 2007.

1. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

hey all , i know most off you mow and then trim, myself i have found that if i trim first and then mow then the tall trimming can be mulched when i mow , i think it leaves the job looking better, i know the areas that will have to be trimmed after mowing , so i just do this first, after mowing i give the job a look over and if i see somthing that didnt get trimmed i grab the wacker and go hit it, most of the time very little clean up trimming if any at all . i know it sounds dumb because it is totaly backwards but it has been working very well . what do yall think of this , ok all responses welcome, flame on . lol karl:hammerhead:

2. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I always Trim and Edge first and then mow. But thats me I dont know about the rest.

And for the Areas I know the mower wont fit or get to I trim really well.

3. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

thanks jim , now i dont feel like such afool , all of the LCO'S i see working are always mowing and then trimming , good to know there is someone else thinking ahead of the game besides just my self , lol. later karl:cool2:

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

All that matters is what works for you. No right or wrong way.

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i mow and trim like you . when i got started i watched other lco and try ed it there way mow the trim it didn't work for me so i just do what works for me .

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

It is not dumb. Clearly it works for you, isn't that what matters?

7. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

ok guys thanks for all the replys , i just wanted to make sure there was not a reason to mow first and then trimm. thanks very good info on this forum glad i found it .karl

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I always trim first, then mow. The turf at the edge is not yet run over, hence it stands up for a better trim job. Also, at this time of the season, with leaves starting, getting the edge clean first enables the mower to pick them up, or at least blow them off the edge. For a bagged lawn, trimming afterwards will undoubtedly mean leaves are left along the edge, the ones pulled in with the trimmer. Earlier in the season, when growth was heavier, all the clippings from the trimmer are bagged off with the mower too -- for me, the best reason to trim first.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have always thought to myself after trimming why I dont trim first...I think its because its the least enjoyable of the things we do.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here.