1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Nov 23, 2000.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have gotten almost all of my lawn acounts because companies didn't do a good job trimming. My friend that use to help me cut grass always said that I "butchered" the grass when trimming. I always told him I dont want to miss any spots. So, I was wondering how do you guys trim? When I say that I mean do you like to trim the grass the same height as what you cut the grass at or a little shorter or do you just go for speed and skip spots? How do most customers like it? The lawns I cut have very nice fescue grass and minimul(sp) weeds if that helps.

2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming is a key part of the lawn mowing business. We picked up a few lawns this year for the same reason. It takes a while to learn to do it fast and good. You don't want to butcher it, but you want to feather it. We usually trim a little shorter than we mow but not too short.
  3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

On some lawns, where i trim it doesn't grow back well and i think its because of the shade(from bushes, etc.) what do you guys think? Am i dong something wrong?
  4. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

Grassyfras, anyone can walk behind a lawn mower or ride on a lawn mower. It's paying attention to the details that will keep you on the job. You should make the lawn look like you would want to come home to it. If there is a doubt on wether or not you should do an area or "skip it" this week. You better do it because someone that does a better job trimming may come along and steal your customer. If you find yourself loosing customers for silly reasons they probably just don't want to tell you to your face that you're doing a lousy job. Just food for thought.
  5. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

grassyfras, trimming is super important it sharpens up the
    whole picture of the lawn. Have you ever rode by a lawn thats been trimmed and edged properly, everything just looks
    crisp and clean!

Good Luck!
  6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I trim mine same level as I cut the grass, edge around all concrete and the blow all the clippings out of where I edge so they look clean, PICTURE PERFECT makes the customer happy
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Trim it the same height as the cut grass. If your there every week ,theres no need to hack it down any further. Plus it's faster to just cut a little off, instead of a lot.
  8. Bob Shoaff

Bob Shoaff LawnSite Member

I also trim the same height as the lawn cut. I also use an edger around all concrete surfaces. Nothing looks more amateur then when someone edges walks with a weed eater. (thats just my opinion though).
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I can do a better job w/ my trimmer after the edge is already established. It is faster w/ a trimmer also. I feel on some edges the the angle needs to be adjusted for better viewing pleasure.:)
  10. Bob Shoaff

Bob Shoaff LawnSite Member

I will eat my words on that one. Or maybe I should give it a try!