Trimming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Aug 17, 2004.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

How do you all trim around a flower bed that has flowers coming over the edges? Do you just try and move the flowers but how do get them to stay back long enough to get the trimmer in there without eating the flowers?

2. spcfoor

Does anyone not have this problem?

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I will not move flowers........ if they can't trim them back then i just go around.

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

just me but i'd wait until they are done blooming or take a rope line pull the bush up some to trim around...

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Who put the flowers in the bed? If the customer did, just trim as close as you can. If it was you, try re-edging, if it is just a small amount. Have any help? If yes, have them hold the flowers back with a rake while you trim.

6. spcfoor

Thanks for the replies. It was the customer who put the flowers in. I have one helper(brother in law) who helps me do a commerical prop. come with me the next time and hold them back with a rake. Thanks for the input.

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I turn the trimmer sideways and trim them even with the bed.Done this hundreds of times and no complaints.

8. spcfoor

I turn the trimmer sideways and trim them even with the bed.Done this hundreds of times and no complaints.

Are you serious?

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

yea , it actually looks good when ur done.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I haven't had this problem with flowers, but I have with plants, like hostas.

I just trim at a slight angle so the trimmer line is sorta cutting in under the plants leaves. It does hit some of the leaves a little, but it's on the underside. So you don't really see the small amount of damage that's done.