1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmings in mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AshleeServices, May 15, 2003.

1. AshleeServices

AshleeServices LawnSite Member

When you trim hedges and there is a mulch bed underneath, do you leave the trimmings to decay or do you pick them up the best that you can????? Right now we are vaccuming the large pieces. Is this standard practices or do most peple leave the trimmings in the mulch?
  2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I always rake up and haul away.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I always blow, rake to get all the cuttings out from mulch areas.
    I had one customer that had the bark nuggets, they were a real pita to get out. I told him after the first time doing the trimming, that the charge would go up because of the bark nuggets, and he agreed to have me install hardwood mulch.
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We lightly rake and bloe the clippings out of the beds and rake them up. Most of our customers have cypress mulch, and the clippings seem to rake up preety easy without disturbing the mulch too much.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we usually blow them out. We have never had a landscaping area (besides stones) where you end up getting some mulch with the clippings
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Most of the time when we trim the shrubs we are fixing to mulch so we get the majority of them out but just mulch over the rest.
  7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

None of you folks lay a tarp down? It seems to make cleanup a lot faster;also keeps beds cleaner.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have tried tarps before in the past and we found that they will only work in certain areas. They just sometimes seem more of a hassle and waste a lot of time for us.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I use two bedsheets...one on each side of the bush. If there are a row of bushes I then 'leapfrog' one of the sheets to the other side of the next bush by dragging it around the bush I just finished. Once the sheets begin to get full I just 'bundle' them to the trailer and dump them. No raking, no blowing, no mess (except what I have piled on my trailer. Spotless beds and lawn...and happy customer.