Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mowerconsultant, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here are some pics of the TrimStar prototype, it is shown here with the preferred H-Bar steering, it will also be available in pistol grip.
    There will be a 15 Kawasaki 36" and a 17 Kawasaki 48" both flaoting decks.
    I have no pricing or additional specs to share right now.
    Of course these pics are of a prototype and the final product is subject to some changes.
    We have been testing this product and it will be available this fall.

2. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

5. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Hey PJ. You probably already heard from Lambert, that I purchased the ATZ today. Held the steep slopes fine. Thanks for your efforts. Had a tough time deciding weather to purchase from a dealer 100 miles+ away, but I am more than satisfied with the response that the two of you have shown. I sent some pics to Lambert.
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

HOw many times do we have to tell you? You need to offer more than 15hp on the 36". Hustler listened to our request for more hp with the super walkbehind, why not on the 36" Maybe because this is a overall smaller machine but will the old 37" ever be available with more than 15hp"

I like the compact design for tihg areas. Is the 36" a two or three blade deck? what tire sizes? What is the black knob in the middle of the dash?
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

More hp on 37" walkbehind? More could be better.

This is a picture of my Hustler walkbehind mowin' wet and tall stuff at an overgrown Mississippi estate.

This mower chewed and spit out voracious amounts of material...

Landscape restoration project...phase one.

mower flew through the wet stuff. Did not get stuck.

more horsepower would have been nice, but to tell the truth, the mower amazed me with the speed in which it ate this stuff up.

And more horsepower wouldn't have made any diffference.

This was way too wet for the Hustler Z, almost got stuck with it...

joey gettin dirty.jpg
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Another possible side benefit of that offset deck could be getting through gates.

Looks like you could "hook" the offset part of the deck and then swing the rest around.

I'd bet that they would go through some gates that are smaller then the deck's width.

That could be nice.

But then again, I'm getting a Gatestar anyway so gates won't be a problem!! Hehe!
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice to finally see one. I have questions and comments of course.

1. What is the reason for this new design? It seems shorter than the hydro wb, but what else is it supposed to do better? If it's discharge and dispersal of clippings that would be a big upgrade. But as a replacement to the other design, not a supplement.

2. The offset deck is great for trimming, but it would cause some problems on some types of grass like Bermuda.

3. I think the twin cylinder 15hp kawi is plenty strong for a 36" deck.

4. Is it going to be cheaper?

5. Got a pic of a 36"?

6. If the wheelbase was narrowed to allow the long trim side on the deck, that might hurt hillside stability, which is a big reason people even use wb's these days. But that said, I still like it, since the type grass here isn't a problem.

7. I appreciate a studied approach rather than rushing out a product, but it seems very long before some designs are making it to market. The Gatestar is an example. Someone who has to buy a mower TODAY won't be in the market again for that unit for another 3-5 years. Time is money. And this mower frankly doesn't seem that different from what you're already putting out. It seems almost redundant. Maybe I'm missing enough details, but I would have rather seen the engineering resources go towards speeding development of a wide area wb that can also get into gates. Nobody WANTS a 36" deck mower, they buy them because of gates mostly.

8. 36" mowers often don't fit through 36" gates. Gravely recently put out a 34" rider in recognition of that. Same with 48" . 44" is a better size. It'd have been nice to see the new design give us an alternative deck size.
  10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey PJ your starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf one to many times. For the last few years you say a new product will be available in the fall but it never appears. Which fall are we talking about... 2004 ...2005 ... 2006. :D :D :D :D :D