1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimstrar 36 hydo who has one and what is the cut quality on Bermuda lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Jul 29, 2007.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I have a 37" Hustler Hydro that I purchased for small hilly obstacle laden lawns. Well I guess because it is so heavy and long I get alot of uneven cutting at cutting heights below 3". I don't cut many lawns that are flat, (flat lawns are rare in north Georgia). I have had complaints from customers about its cut quality so I never use it. I use the 21" instead which is not that productive and is the sole reason I bought the 37" hydro.

Don't get me wrong the machine is built like a tank and would probably be fine for flat properties but thats not why I bought it. My question is has anyone been using the 36" Trimstar for uneven small properties that are in high end subdivisions with Bermuda sod, and if so how is the cut? Is it even? Does it leave lines? Does it scalp?

I talked to my dealer and he has a 36" trimstar he is going to let me demo and I can trade my 37" hydro on it at a loss of course. I have 6 hrs on it because I don't even use it.

Anyway any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave...
  2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Trim Star that I use for smaller props and gated back yards. I have not cut bermuda, but have had success cutting bluegrass (1 or 2 times):at lower than 3" inches without any scalping. There is no way I would even attempt to cut anything lower than 3" with my 54" Hydro WB. Hope this helps!
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 40" Toro T2 and have this same problem, though its finally starting to look better with some time behind controls. I usually cut my bermuda at 3" and it looks fine in most places and I get very little scalping at this height, when I do get scalping or lines its because of a sharp dip in the lawn, or the drainage swale along my property line.

I doubt that you will have much less lines and scalping with a 36" Trimstar over what you were using.

What you and I need are lawns that were installed correctly so that the lawn can be cut at its proper height. It doesnt matter how much the houses cost around here, the quality of the install varies greatly from very good to just dropping sod on rough grade and leaving it at that.

I have been filling in all of my low spots with a riversand mix and the looks have improved greatly.
  4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

You should demo the 36 and see what you think. I use the 36" Trimstars and I doubt it will be much better than your 37, but you really have to see for your self.
    Truth is, the 40" Toro T2 should be one of the best, given its short wheelbase.
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need a 36" walker nothing can touch it for quality of cut on bermuda
  6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, definitely.
  7. coolluv

from Atlanta

cgaengineer I totally agree with you about the crappy installations and the grading.

Are you guys using the walker mowers on the types of lawns I described? And if so what makes the cut better? I went to the walker web site and the machine did not look that much different.

Most of the properties around this area are rolling hilly and have about 10 to 15ft of sloping swales between the houses. If you try to use anything larger than a 21 you get lines in the grass where the lower side of the deck cuts deeper. Not only on the sides but anywhere the grass slopes.

Front and back yards are usually sloping in all directions between landscaping around the house and landscape beds around driveways and sidewalks, its a mess.

I have tried to cut in various ways only to have it look like crap. When the mower leans to one side or the other you get lines. When you try to turn around obstacles and beds you get scalping. Slow, fast, medium, up, down it don't matter. I even tried to up the psi. on the low side tires to see if that helped, nope.

I'm looking for a mower that will cut in these types of conditions. Maybe my expectations are to high for the conditions and if I want it to look good I will have to keep using the 21", buts its killing me.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to keep harping on this. But the above lawns you are describing are the type of lawns that I have and try to get. I have tried 36, 32 and 30" mowers on these. The best and really the only way to cut these lawns correctly to have them looking good is with a 21. There is a reason the 21" mower has been around for decades, it is for these lawns. There is a reason I don't bid the giant lots, because I don't have the big mowers to be productive on them. The opposite is true also, why bother bidding these type lawns if you don't have the proper equipment or are unwilling to use it, meaning 21" mowers.
  9. coolluv

from Atlanta

If 80 percent of the lawns are like that what do you do? Size of the lot is irrelevant to the topo of the lot. These lots range in size from 1/4 to 3/4 acre lots. Would you suggest cutting 3/4 acre lots with a 21".

The landscaping on most of these lots is extensive,so you have alot of grass in between that twist and turns. Some lots are 3/4 acre with maybe 1/2 acre of grass. I try to do a good job on all of the customers houses that I do.

I just want to find a more productive way to cut without sacrificing quality, isn't that what we all try to achieve? Faster cut time = more money.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

No I would not cut a lawn that size with a 21. In your original post you said small obstacle laden lawns, I would take that as meaning something smaller than 1/4 acre. A big lawn to me is 1/4 acre or more. I am talking about lawns 1/8 acre or so. So many times guys are trying to jam huge mowers on these small properties. Good luck