Tring To Find A Break In The Line!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by milsaps118, Jun 8, 2006.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a commercial property that has been having a problem with an island that is irrigated. A section of it gets totally saturated an lifts about 1"-2". More than likely the line is broke or cracked. Part of the line runs underneath a small rock bed along the curb line. Should I run that zone and have at it with my shovel to try to find the leak? Is there a better way?????
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If its real obvious where the sod is lifting, flip it over and dig away.

Sometimes leaks can be real hard to find. Today I chased one 15' before finally finding the break.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Instead of "follow the money"... follow the water. If the area is a quadmire then it might be better to turn the zone off for a couple of days to allow some drying. Then turn the zone on manually and start searching at the first place the water shows up.

Depending on soil you should also be on the lookout for washed white sand which is indicative of where the leak is occurring.
  4. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Funny you should say that. Spent 2 hours yesterday finding & repairing 2 breaks. Customer installed a pool. All laterals 2' deep in heavy clay that was compact because of the equipment running it over. Water following the bullet hole & showing up 10 to 15' away from the actual break. Hand dug & lifted lots of heavy, saturated clay out of the ground. Shoulders & back feeling it this morning.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

if the area is soaked , bring along the air compressor , turn off the water supply , and start pushing air and look for the bubbles .
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Quick and easy.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The T&M guys are squirming in their chairs. "No, no... too easy. More billable T!" :p