Triplex Reel mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACER, Oct 6, 2002.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with a John Deere 2653A triplex reel mower? Need something to cut Tiff 419. Thanks

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have plenty of experince with one. What excalty are you cutting., As in height wise and such?

3. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Cutting Tiff 419, currently cut at 3/4". This is for my personal yard but hopefully I can use it in the business as well.

4. longviewlawncare

Unless you cut it everyother day, the 2653A will clump real bad. That is the down fall to those mowers. They are mostley used to mow rough at 1 1/2 up. If you want a good mower look into more of a greens type mower. ( JD 2243 or 2500, Toro Reelmaster3100, greensmaster 3100 or 3200). ARe you planning on buying new or used. A new 2653A will run about 19-20k. A new greensmower will run anywhere from 19-23k. Also the good thing about a greensmower other than a better cut is it will fit on any 6.5' trailer with gates. If you need any more help let me know. Josh

5. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Thanks Josh,
    I am looking at a used one with less than 200 hrs, can probably get for less than $7000. I currently use a 10 blade Mclane self propelled that does a good job but my yard is to large for this type of mower. I was considering this mower because I may be able to get it at a good price. I would like to find a mower to cut a acre without working myself to death.

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

It may not be short enough, but I started using a Walker on a few large high breed burmuda lawns and they looked really good, the Customer didnt even noticed we started using it on the lawn til we told them, and they said what ever looks good!
    Just have to sharpen the blades before mowing and drop the deck to a inch.

7. longviewlawncare

7k is a good deal. For that price it is hard to pass up. If you get it and experince clumping there are several things you can do to try and stop the clumping. First i don't know when they started doing it but the Back sheild can be moved up and down to either shoot cliipings out the back or front. If the come out the front it will not clump as bad. Also we took the top sheild off of ours. It helped spread the cliipings more. Good luck.

8. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Josh,
    What is the cutting height range on this mower? I went to the John Deere site and could not find it listed. Thanks

9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing reels can be set up to mow greens. If I am not mistaken the only difference between the rough and greens reel is the number of blades on the reel and the bedknife.

10. longviewlawncare

the hieght of cut range if i am not mistakin is like 3/8" to 1 1/2" i think. I am sure 3/8 is right and pretty sure the top range is somewhere right there. sdwally, This is true and not true. it could be set to mow greens but the heigth of cut would be to high. other differences are the number of blades 7-9 for rough and tee's and 11 for greens. But the biggest difference is the design of the reel and shields. If you look the the reels on a 2500 and then on a 2653A they are alot different.