Triton is KING!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 25, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running a 66 Triton for over a year and wondering why people didnt like them. Two weeks ago, I got a used TTHP with the Tri Vantage deck. It works OK on some grass but not all. Now I realize why people double and triple cut with those decks. I put a brand new set of hi lift blades on and it still leaves stringers even on the best of lawns. My Triton requires only one pass when properly bladed and the cut is superb at one pass. I cant speak for the Ultra cut deck but I cant imagine a better cut from it over my Triton. I am so glad I bought a used TTHP because if I would have bought new, I would be pissed right now.
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

The TriVantage shouldn't be leaving stringers or requiring multiple passes under normal cutting conditions.

Are you mulching?
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont mulch. I mow at the 3.5 inch setting. I see alot of guys around here shaving it off on the 3 inch setting. That leaves it less than 3 inches even though thats what the setting is.
  4. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned at least 5 TTHP's and they all have cut excellent. I also have 2 Triton's and they both cut good.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

this is a little off topic, but ive seen multiple posts bashing the triton but they never say what is so bad about the cut. what makes it so undesirable? and what grasses is it so bad in? in the next year i hope to buy a brand new exmark, and have no idea what is so bad bout the triton deck.

about the tthp, mine doesnt have too much lift either. it cuts great on centipede, but if i cut taller grasses i have problems. i actually bouht a toro b/c the older SFS deck seemed to do so much better on tall stuff.
  6. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Triton deck and it cuts great. I've seen some posters bashing this deck but I don't know why. I always stress this deck must be bladed properly as the OP stated.
  7. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My tthp's are the best I've ever bought, I freaking love them. I like the Ultra cut on my lazer's, but it's nothing compared to the TTHP tri vantage. I think it's all about what kind of grass you cut to say anything about the quality of the TRITON. I demo'd one and I HATED it. Just didn't cut it for me.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

So were now comparing used decks to a machine you bought new. Buying used crap is a gamble, sounds like you lost. TTHP's cut excellent, don't follow the contour as good as a Walker but they cut nice.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Some decks will cut good in one area and not so well just a few miles down the road where conditions are different. There are so many variables to conditions that it is hard to say one is always better than another. I have used many decks and almost all of them did a fine job in some conditions. All had strong points and all had conditions where they didn't preform as well as another deck in the same conditions. The two decks I'm running now couldn't be more different (Exmark Ultra Cut and Scag Velocity). There are times I know the Ultra Cut is just going to do a better job and leave a smoother cut. And other times I know there is no sense getting the Exmark off the trailer, especially tall, wet, and other wise difficult conditions. The Velocity plus will just handle a lot more grass and will get the job done when the Exmarks, Grasshoppers, Dixies, Gravely's etc are clumping and clogging up. I keep an eye on all the different mowers in the area and note which ones preform better in certain conditions. The Triton hasn't had many complaints in this area but the AS Series with the Ultra Cut still seem to sell better.
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My triton 46 works great for me down in louisiana. I mulch with mine and it leaves a great cut. I'm going to try some different blades though. When I first got it I discharged and it left a great cut also. I was going through some thick stuff and it left a smooth clean finish with no stringers or clumps. I would discharge but my customers complain that there's grass everywhere whiny whiny, so I have to mulch.