Triton Mods - I'M SO CONFUSED

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by eaglejrl, Aug 30, 2007.

1. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

Earlier this year I had my dealer install the BTS update to my 60" 2006 Triton deck - so I thought. This is my first commercial mower and I am inexperienced with what the performance is supposed to be like. I wasn't really having any problems, but I knew the updates were out there and thought, "They must make the mower better."

Since having it installed, I felt like I lost a lot of power. I also started leaving a strip in thick grass that I didn't ever remember leaving before.

I talked to my dealer about undoing the BTS upgrade and going back to the original set up. He told me that the upgrade he did on my deck was just changing out an idler pully and had nothing to do with the BTS. I was confused and asked him what did the change in the idler do for the machine. He just said it increased the tension on the belts.

Now, in my mind I'm thinking - how many updates do they have for this deck?

Or, does he not know what he is talking about.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what updates there are for the '06 triton deck and what they do to increase performance?

2. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

bump..............

3. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

sounds to me like he doesnt know what hes talking about. go back and tell him you want the update kit that speeds up the blade speed and a metal piece put under the deck on the left side grass chamber. (i think you call that a baffle).

4. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

I was under the impression from what I've read on other threads that the change in idler increased the BTS. But my dealer is saying it had nothing to do with the BTS. I'm thinking that he is wrong on that fact and that I DO have the BTS modification already installed. That's the reason I'm wanting someone to tell me exactly what is done with the BTS modification.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

your dealer is either misleading you or clueless.....

6. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

So, are you saying that by replacing the idler it did increase the bts?

7. Stillwater

I did not mean to bad mouth your dealer I am sorry, but "No"... replaceing just the idlers will not increase blade speed, Idlers are the devices that maintain belt tention, it is the drive sheaves and spindel sheave's that determin what your blade speed will be for a set rpm. smaller the diamater the faster the blade. if your dealer just replaced the idlers then your dealer must have thought slipping belt was the cause of you cut quality issue

8. Stillwater

from what I understand the upgrades are smaller spindel sheaves (pulleys) on all spindels and a adjustable baffel for the leading edge and a adjustable flow control at the discharge side. their might be another mod i dont remember

9. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

Thanks for the response. When I first went to my dealer about upgrading my deck, I thought there was only the bts upgrade and the baffel fix. So, I just told him I wanted the updates for my deck. He told me he would order the kit. I assumed it would be the updates previously mentioned. Now I found out that all he replaced was the idler - which must have been another update for this deck. I guess I should have been more specific. He has admitted that he gets many update bullitens for the products he sales but he can't keep up with them all. I'm going to try to find out from exmark just what all is availabe for the '06 Triton deck.

10. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Eaglejrl,

Give our service dept. a call (402/223-6375). They can check with you and your dealer to ensure the correct actions were taken.

The kit should've consisted of the following:
    Speed up: 3 different blade drive pulleys, moving the idler pivot (rqd because of the diameter difference of the pulleys to maintain same belt length).

Flow control adj: Redoing the front discharge flow control and installing a baffle on the trim side blade to better direct the grass discharge. At the same time they should've open the discharge baffle all the way open. If you don't do this with the speed up, results will typically be poor.

Checking the deck set/level/rake: We found that the Triton deck doesn't require near the same amount of rake as the previous decks.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Lenny