Triton Reports from the midwest, upper south

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 29, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I for one have been waiting on getting some Triton reports in the lush Spring growth. It's about time some of you chimed in telling us about the cut and performance in lush and/or wet Spring conditions. How is the new deck preforming? I realize that many parts of the country are just getting started but keep us informed on how the deck is doing and on what kind of turf conditions from excellent turf conditions to mixed weeds, dandelions, etc.

Exmark told me that in some area's an extra piece of metal (not sure what they call it) is to be installed in the left chamber to prevent the vortex effect of grass continually circulating in the left chamber (trim side) and not moving out into the other chambers to be dispersed. Has anyone had to have this installed? I'm still not 100% sold on this particular deck but the Exmark Rep told me in side by side test it cut more uniform than the Ultra Cut which would be a feat in it's self. Well for one you don't have to ever install the extra baffle for a good cut with the Ultra Cut. Makes me wonder. Is this the great do all deck that it has been made out to be or does it need patches and fixes like the XR7 went thru? Lets hear it, you Triton owners are just too quiet and I don't know if that is good or bad. Velocity owners and 7 Iron II owners are constantly on here raving about the decks, and they don't have a sponsor on Lawnsite. So let get some reports coming in. Lot's of customers waiting to make a decision on which brand to go with. We need detailed info on the improved Triton.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I've been waiting to hear if the fix is in for the Triton. I find it hard to believe they've gotten it to perform a manicured cut as good as the one provided by the UltraCut deck. I considered buying one this year but will not until I'm sure it's going to work... Otherwise I'll get an HP or something used so I can have the UC deck.

3. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt LawnSite Member

Yes the problems seem to be fixed. I have a 06 lazer Z 60/27 with the up date kit and a 07 lazer Z 60/31, and yes it does cut just as good as the ultra cut if not better. Striping is better to.

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious how the new triton deck does on wet grass compared to the ultracut.

5. wolf man

wolf man LawnSite Member

I Too Have Had An Ultra Cut For 6 Years, Got A Triton Last Year And It Is The Do It All Deck, No Clumping Underneath, Will Cut Thigh High Grass Like A Bush Hog, And Leaves A Great Fininsh On Regular Turf, Find A Dealer Who Has One For A Demo And Try It You'll Like It........

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats all well and good but your in Mississippi so that' not where the problem is. The Upper South and Mid West is what this post is about. The Tritons, never really had a lot of complaints South of Tennessee. That's why I was asking only Midwest LCO's on this post. In the transition zone or North is where we need the info from and if they are doing great the owners are being very quiet about it. I haven't heard hardly anything about the performance in lush Spring growth in the Mid West. Maybe it's still too early there but I've been mowing since March. Velocity and 7 iron II owners won't stop singing the praises of their decks so where are you Mid West guys at. I am a Exmark fan so I'm hoping for some great reports.

At this point it's looking like the Triton will never achieve the reputation that the Ultra Cut did. The Ultra Cut put Exmark on the map but the Triton has only hurt them so far. I'm hoping this will change. This is coming from an Exmark fan but I have to be fair. Not many seem overly impressed so far.

The wet performance as I have said before was never the Ultra Cuts strong point. Just too much lift. I does fine in wet but you will need to scrape the deck for sure.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ive seen the triton work very well in the wet spring grass here where i am. It will build up some grass undernith but nothing like the UC.

You should hear nothing but good very soon. i just think its one year to late.

The only mowers available with the UC is the AS and the out-front mower. but i could be wrong.16500 BTS:cry: what a joke:hammerhead:

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trying to dig up my '06 Exmark catalog.

Cause in my '07 catalog, every single mower now has it's blade tip speed listed in the general features category(18,500).

I could be wrong, but I don't think that spec was listed in the '06 catalogs.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The triton has a BTS of 18750. UC's and the try's are at 18500 but that will be different for the size of the deck.

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great to see this thread started, I will be reading all the updates. This is the kind of feedback I have been looking for on the triton. What about west coast triton users, anybody? Starting out sunny here today, but rain for most of the week starting Tuesday. Should be a great test week.:laugh:
    have a great week y'all.

Jeff