trouble finding exmark hydro filter.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haybaler, Mar 19, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

part no. 1-513211
    does anyone have a cross ref number for this filter. Couldn't find it on hastings site. is there any reason not to use a lube oil filter on this? I found a LF 157 works for my husky zturn. it is after all motor oil used for the hydro system.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Wix number is 51374

Try leaving off the leading 1 when looking it up. Exmark used to not have all those "1-" things in front of their numbers.

3. haybaler

from ma

ok, well the wix no. crosses over to a hastings LF157. i just talked to an engineer at hastings and he said don't use that filter because it has a bypass valve that may be the wrong pressure and it's a 18 micron/not 10 micron filter.

4. haybaler

from ma

def would not use wix filter on hydro system.

Part Number: 51374
    UPC Number: 765809513747
    Principal Application: BMW (65-91), Lancia (76-77) and M.G. (75-80), Various HD Equipment
    All Applications
    Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
    Service: Lube
    Type: Full Flow
    Media: Paper
    Height: 3.529
    Outer Diameter Top: 2.966
    Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
    Thread Size: 3/4-16
    By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
    Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
    Burst Pressure-PSI: 385
    Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
    Nominal Micro Rating: 25

5. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't exactly give you the reason but know it is a very bad thing to use an oil filter for your hydro. Something about one the oil is pushed through the other pulled through.

Exmark is owned by Toro if that helps you any.

6. haybaler

from ma

I know at this point I can't use an oil filter, that is why I'm looking for a hydro filter cross number so I can go to the local auto part sore instead of the exmark dealer. I found a couple aftermarket ones online, but know name no part number ones.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Call Power Equipment Warehouse (sponsor here, icon at the top of the page, find phone number off the web site). Give them your Exmark part number, and they will get you a proper filter for your hydro system. They have supplied many filters for me.

Delivery is only a couple of days, UPS to your door.

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

"he said don't use that filter because it has a bypass valve that may be the wrong pressure and it's a 18 micron/not 10 micron filter...."

Bypass pressure only matters if your filter is clogged.
    How do you know your filter is 10 micron?
    Check out NAPA. Then look at the last 4 digits of the number compared to the Wix# posted above.
    There are quite a few hydro filters that have automotive applications.

9. haybaler

from ma

not only the bypass but it has a anti drain valve and the hydro system sucks the fluid through the filter, where the oil system pumps it. I know for a fact the exmark filters are 10 micron. all the oil filters that fit are 18-25 micron.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

How much time have you wasted looking for another filter? You are so worried that they wont be the equal of the Exmark one, why dont you just bite the bullet and get an Exmark one?