1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble Finding the Trailer VIN

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HAS0586, Jan 17, 2011.

1. HAS0586

HAS0586 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am having trouble finding a VIN number on my trailer and I was wondering of somebody could give me some advice.

I have had this trailer for four years and used it very little. When I needed to haul something with it, I just attached the plates from my other trailer. Now I am thinking about using it more for my lawn service and without the VIN, I am not sure how to go about getting plates for it. I was told it is a Forest River trailer, although I have no way of knowing for sure (bought it secondhand).

I have looked everywhere for a stamped number, even turning the trailer on it's side and looking underneath.

So how would y'all go about getting this thing registered? I live in Texas.

Thanks!

Hunter

2. minitrk

minitrk LawnSite Member

Register it in Maine...HOW TO

3. HAS0586

HAS0586 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link! It looks like I would still need the title or vin number to register it, so I sent them an email to make sure. I only have a simple bill of sale so I might be out of luck. :(

Also thinking about registering it as a home-built trailer in texas. Researching that right now. Maybe it was built that way! I have no idea if it was or wasn't. hmmm....

- Hunter

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I bought a farm trailer one time that had no vin #. They have a form at the BMV to apply for a vin #. Once they sent the new number I had to have a metal plate made that I riveted onto the trailer and then I had to have a sheriff come to my house to inspect the plate was installed. Kind of a pain, you may have to though.

5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Look on top of the axle or under your decking.I got a tag with my title.

6. HAS0586

HAS0586 LawnSite Member

Already looked there, but I will try again! :)

Thanks for the suggestion GravelyGuy, I will call the Texas DMV and see if they can do the same thing.

7. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Most have tags on them. But I think about every trailer also has them stamped some where like the right rear corner of the trailer on the frame.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Also check on the tongue. Ours is on the right inside of it. In weld buildup.